Bio:

Hannah, Charles Godfrey (History - 1838)

Contact:

Janet Schwarze

Email:

stan@wiclarkcountyhistory.org

Surnames:

HANNAH NUGENT BOON HUGHES ROSS

 

----Source: 1918 History of Clark County, Wisconsin

CHARLES GODFREY HANNAH, who died at the age of 69 years, in Weston Township, in 1907, had been a resident of Clark County since 1869. He was a native of St. George, Canada, and son of James Godfrey and Jane (Nugent) Hannah, James being from England and his wife Jane, from Ireland. They were married at St. George, where they always resided after coming to America, he being a watch and clock maker by trade.

 

By a previous marriage, James G. Hannah had four children. Of this marriage with Jane Nugent three children were born: Charles, Emma and Mary. Charles G. Hannah grew to manhood in Canada. He was only 11 years old when his father died and he then had to look out for himself to a large extent or at least, contribute in part to his own support. When old enough he engaged in logging and lumbering as a contractor.

 

On Nov. 3, 1863, he was married in Canada to Mary Boon, who was born in County Derry, Ireland, April 4, 1840, daughter of Charles and Nancy (Hughes) Boon, the father being a linen weaver by trade. The Boon family emigrated to Canada in 1847, where they landed after an eight weeks' voyage in a sailing vessel. They formed quite a large party, there being fourteen children, all of whom, however, are now dead, except Mary (Mrs. Hannah). Charles Boon spent the rest of his life farming in Canada, where he died at the age of 80 years. His wife died at the age of 89. Charles G. Hannah and wife resided in Canada for seven years after their marriage, he continuing in the lumber business.

 

It was his occupation that brought him to Clark County in 1869, when he arrived here with his wife, and three children, Nancy, Eliza and James. First locating at Neillsville, he engaged in the lumbering business, having a camp located on Black River and one on Collie Creek. His first contract work was for Robert Ross and later he worked for George H. Ray. Mr. Ross was a relative of his, being an uncle on the mother's side, and Mr. Hannah and his family lived for five years in a log house on the Ross place in Section 4, he managing the camp and she doing the work for the men. He cleared his uncle's place and then bought eighty acres of wild land in Section 14, Weston Township--a tract to which there was no road. On it he built a log house of three rooms, to which he later added a kitchen. Three more children had been to him-Robert, Ellen and William--in Section 4 and later two others--Cinda and Minnie--were born on the farm in Section 14. Mr. Hannah began the improvement of this latter tract with an ox team and one cow, and when he could not borrow a neighbor's team he walked to Neillsville for supplies. Mrs. Hannah spun wool to make socks, caps and mittens for the family, her sewing being done by hand, as she had no machine. For a number of years they had up-hill work, as Mr. Hannah often suffered from rheumatism contracted in his camp work and on the river, his work on liver drives being continued for nineteen years. In time, however, he increased the size of his farm to 240 acres and it is now known as the Cottonwood Farm. Nearly all the land was cleared by himself and he was always a hard worker. He also built a frame house of eleven rooms--a very commodious and comfortable dwelling--and a good barn. His son, William Henry, is now proprietor of the farm, which he is conducting on a profitable basis. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church.

 

 


© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.

 

Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.

 

Become a Clark County History Buff

 

Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous
donations.

 

Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel.

 

CLARK CO. WI HISTORY HOME PAGE