George D. Schultz, 1849
email@example.com on Wed, 14 Feb 2001
Surname: SCHULTZ, ROSER, LOWERY, LEAPOLD, ABEND, BAKKEN, BLINCO
----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
GEORGE D. SCHULTZ, a well-to-do dairy farmer and stock raiser of section 19, Levis Township, who is also a prominent citizen and official of that township, was born in Buffalo, N. Y., August 18, 1849, son of Phillip and Barbara (Roser) Schultz. Both parents were born in the province of Alsace, France, and came with their respective parents to the United States by sailing vessel. They were married in the early forties in Eden Township, Erie County, N. Y., and settled in Buffalo, N. Y., where he owned two boats on the Erie Canal, though by trade he was a cooper, and at times worked at his trade until 1870. He was also at one time a member of the police force and chief of the fire department
He and his wife had five children born in New York state: Elizabeth, George, Henry, Martin and Louise. Another died in infancy. In 1853 Phillip and his wife and family came to Wisconsin, locating in Milwaukee, where he stayed over winter, in the spring removing to Mayville, Dodge County, Wis. There he bought ninety-two acres of land and built a log house and barn. He had no stock; there were no roads and he had to walk to Mayville for supplies. In time he erected frame buildings and cleared seventy-five acres of his land, his death occurring Dec. 19, 1905. His wife died March 12, 1899.
George D. Schultz remained on the home farm until he was 21 years old. He then went to work in the woods on Black River for Harrison Lowery, also working on Cunningham creek two winters, returning home each summer. At this time he was also engaged in the charcoal business. For seventeen. winters Mr. Schultz worked in the woods and then became foreman for The Black River Improvement Co. at Dell's Dam. On July 4, 1878, at the age of 29 years, he was married to Mary Leapold, a native of Illinois, whose father, George Leapold, was a laborer in Jackson County.
Mr. Schultz. continued to work in the woods for five years after his marriage and then was employed at Dell's Dam, becoming foreman after two years. That. position he held for 23 years, making 25 years on the Dam. During his, stay there he saw at one time a mass of timber in a jam estimated to contain 75,000,000 feet. In 1881 he had bought sixty-three acres of wild land near the dam, on which he built a log house and barn, and here he settled in 1882 the tract being in section 18, Levis Township. He had no stock or implements, and his only tools were an axe and cant-hook, with which he started to clear the land, getting his supplies at Neillsville. He has since cleared forty acres and has bought forty acres more in section 18, Levis Township. He has erected an eleven room house and a basement barn, 36 by 60 feet, and is raising graded Jersey cattle and Jersey Red hogs. For many years Mr. Schultz has taken an active part in local affairs, having served as township supervisor for a long period, as chairman of the township board two years, district school clerk 17 years and director on the school board for many years. He belongs to the Odd Fellows lodge at Neillsville.
The family circle of Mr. and Mrs. Schultz has been gradually enlarged by the birth of seven children, one of whom, however, is now deceased, and others have married and have homes of their own. The record is as follows: Bessie is the wife of F. Abend of Alma Center, Wis., and has one child, Bernard Florence, now Mrs. Arne Bakken, of Jackson County, Wis., has one child, Marion. Hattie, who married Omar Blinco, of Alma Center, is a resident of that place. Oscar is deceased. Philip is with Headquarters Company, 121st Machine Gun Batallion, Camp MacArthur, Waco, Texas. Hazel and Guy live at home with their parents. The religious affiliations of the family are with the Presbyterian Church.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs