George Fisher, 1859
firstname.lastname@example.org on Tue, 13 Feb 2001
Surname: FISHER, KREITSINGER, STALEY
----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
GEORGE FISHER, SR., a respected resident of Sherman Township, who has done pioneer work in this locality, having developed a good farm from the wilderness, was born in Sheboygan County, Wis., Oct. 28, 1859. His parents, Gottleib and Lena (Kreitsinger) Fisher, were natives of Ohio who, after settling in Sheboygan County resided there for the rest of their lives. George Fisher, in his boyhood, attended the log school of his district and grew up on his parents' farm, on which he acquired a knowledge of agriculture.
At the age of 18 he came to Clark County, whither his brother John had preceded him, and secured with him 160 acres of wild land in Sherman Township. It was an isolated spot, there being no road past it, and the land was covered with timber. Here Mr. Fisher built a little shanty and lived a bachelor's life, getting his supplies from Spencer. He and his brother were joint owners in the lard, which they began to clear with an ox team that they had brought. After four years George Fisher married Frederica Staley, a native of Germany, who had come to Clark County from Milwaukee. He and his wife took up their residence in a log house of two rooms, measuring 16 by 26 feet, which he built. They had one cow and a team of oxen and began with eighty acres of land, Mr. Fisher later doubling the size of his farm by purchasing the eighty-acre tract of his brother, both of which he cleared. He also bought eighty acres in the southern part of the township and erected buildings on it, and in addition to that, 120 acres more of wild land. After developing his original tract into a good farm he sold it, and has lately begun the clearing of forty acres more of wild land in order to keep occupied. He also keeps farm machinery for sale.
When Mr. Fisher sold his original farm not a stump was left on the land. A good brick house of eight rooms, 32 by 32 feet in dimensions, stood on it, which he had erected, and a barn 46 by 90 feet, in addition to another barn. His only farm building when he started, aside from the log house, was a log stable, 12 by 16 feet, just large enough to accommodate his team of oxen. At one time he suffered from a fire, but he soon repaired damages, and his energy was always proof against misfortune. He helped to organize the first creamery in this locality, served one term on the township board and has also held office on the school board. He also helped to build Veefkind Lutheran Church, of which he is a member.
He and his wife
are the parents of seven children: George, Jr., Charles, Henry,
William, Herman, Frank and Lena,
all of whom are living.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs