Leroy, Levi M. (History - 1828)






 ----Source: 1918 History of Clark County, Wisconsin

LEVI M. LEROY, who has been connected with the agricultural interests of Loyal Township since 1866, and is now one of the most elderly residents of the township, as he is one of the best known and respected, was born in Ulster County, N. Y., June 7, 1828. His parents were Josiah and Julia (Mackey) LeRoy, the mother being of Scotch ancestry, and the father, as it is supposed, English. When he was 6 years old his parents moved to Dutchess County, N. Y., where he resided until he was 22 or 23 years of age. He then went to Columbia County, that state, and was employed for some years there in an agricultural machine shop.


In 1862 he enlisted in Company 8, New York Sharpshooters, and was in the service three years, but spending only a year and a half as a soldier, the rest of the time being employed in the railroad shops at Nashville, Tenn. On being mustered out he returned to his native state, where he remained until the spring of 1866. He then came to Clark County, Wis., locating on his present place in Section 23, Loyal Township.


In 1859 he had been married in New York State to Maggie Simpson, who accompanied him, and who was his faithful helpmate for many years, dying in 1910, at the age of 74. They drove to Clark County from Iron Ridge with an ox team, and on the arrival took up their residence on their land, the tract consisting of eighty acres, covered with timber. John Graves was one of their nearest neighbors, and Rastus Mack lived about half a mile south of them. In addition to their ox team they had brought with them a cow. They often walked to Neillsville for supplies, or drove their ox team there hitched to a "jumper." Mr. LeRoy built a log house, 18 by 20 feet in size, and containing two rooms, it being located a little south of his present residence. The frame house he erected years later. His first barn was also a small log structure. In time he got his land well cleared and improved, well supplied with all necessary buildings, his present barn being 112 by 40 feet in dimensions. He has also two silos, which were built by Fred Garvin.


He and his wife had no children of their own, but adopted a girl, Edith, who is now the wife of Fred Garvin. Mrs. Garvin died in 1917, leaving an adopted son, Levi. In early days Mr. LeRoy served as chairman of the township board, being the second to hold that office, and he was connected with the school board for many years. He also assisted in organizing the Methodist Church, of which he was one of the first members. He has had a long, active and useful career, and is now in his declining years, enjoying a comfortable prosperity.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel