Bio: Mead, William Henry Harrison (1833 - 1911)
Surnames: Mead, Smith, Nichols, Rossman
Sources: ----Source: 1891 History of Clark & Jackson Co., Wis., News Clips, Federal Census Reports, Military Records
Mr. & Mrs. William H. Mead
WILLIAM H. MEAD, whose name is closely connected with the pioneer history of Clark County, as well as with its later development, was born in Pauldings, N. Y., Nov. 19, 1833. When 9 years old he removed with his parents to Watertown, Jefferson County, Wis., where he attended the public schools and grew to manhood, after which he followed various occupations there.
On July 4, 1861, he was united in marriage in Jefferson County, with Julia Arvilla Smith, who was born in Fulton County, N. Y., May 26, 1842.
In 1865 Mr. Mead came with his wife and two children to Clark County, locating first at what is now the city of Greenwood, where the family resided until the following spring. He then took a homestead of 160 acres of wild and heavily timbered land in that part of the county now known as Warner Township, where he erected a modest dwelling and began the strenuous life of a pioneer farmer. The growing importance of the timber industry, however, soon attracted his attention and led him to change his occupation, as he saw that it was easier at that time to extract wealth from the forests than from the soil. Accordingly he invested in timber lands and for the next twenty years was known as one of the leading loggers and lumbermen of this part of the state, at one time, in partnership with others, owning as much as 10,000 acres of land. After that he resumed farming, clearing and improving about 200 acres, and remaining on his farm until about the year 1900. He was also employed as agent by the Gates Land Company and continued with them until 1902, when he again resumed farming, this time on a farm two and a half miles south of Withee. On this farm, which contained 224 acres and was the property of Mrs. Mead, he passed the rest of his life, a period of four and a half years, his death taking place Mar. 6, 1911. He had for a long time been one of the leading men of his township, serving as chairman of the town board for fifteen years, and by virtue of that office was a member also of the board of county commissioners, which he served as chairman for three years.
Fraternally he belonged to the Masonic Lodge at Greenwood. His wife, who survived him, is now a resident of the city of Greenwood, where she is highly esteemed in the best society, and is a member of the Eastern Star Lodge. She attends the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. and Mrs. Mead were the parents of seven children, namely: Frank A., now of McMinnville, Ore. Clara A., who is living in Los Angeles, Cal. Helen O., who died in 1902 Harry, now a soldier in the American army Angus, a resident of Marshfield, Wis. Philo, residing in Ashtabula, Ohio, and Hugh, who died in infancy. History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918)
Farm Residence of William Mead.
This residence is located in the town of Withee on a beautiful farm of one hundred and sixty acres, sixty-five of which is under cultivation. Mr. Mead is the representative of his town on the County Board. He is a native of New York, where he was born in 1840 and married in 1865. After looking over several of the western states he finally settled in his present life now owns his farm and the stock which is on it, unencumbered, which is worth at least five or six thousand dollars. ("Clark Co. Illustrated" by Saterlee, Tifft & Marsh; 1890).
Mr. and Mrs. Harry Mead, who came in 1865, found only one house in the midst of the dense forest. The next spring they moved onto their land into a house which they built without a nail, using wooden pins and hinges, and for seven months Mrs. Mead stated, she saw only one white woman. She also said it took very little to give the settlers a good time. They made much of their own furniture and clothes, exchanged their few books, went to dances long miles afoot or with ox-teams. Mr. Mead would walk over the muddy roads to Neillsville and carry home on his back flour and other groceries; at times the mud was almost knee deep. Mrs. Mead. boarded and washed for the men in camps, saved her money and with it bought the. Hackett place which for years was known as "Mrs. Mead's dirty shirt farm". Greenwood: The Hub of Clark County (1853 - 1934) CHAPTER IV Picturesque Characters-Eventful Happenings.
of Mead and Longwood, twenty-seventh and twenty-eighth, were
created Nov. 16, 1895. The Town of Mead was named for W. H.
Mead, generally known as "Harry" Mead. He was a lumberman and
farmer, as well as chairman of the county board. He was
candidate for assembly on the Democratic ticket in 1891, and was
beaten by four votes by Phillip Rossman.
Clark County Press,
Neillsville, WI; March 13, 1996, Page 32.
The Harry Mead farm in the Town of Warner is now for sale. The farm, of 160 acres is one of the best in Clark County. Also for sale, is the W. L. Nichols farm, 111 acres, about 4 miles northeast of Loyal. For details, call S. M. Marsh. Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wis. (March 1899).
The chairman of the Town of Hixon was Wm. Mead, the clerk was C. W. Funk; treasurer, Philo Mead and assessor, Pat Sheehan. Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI, September 17, 1992, Page 28.
BOWEN marriage June 1901
Miss Edna Bowen was married to Mr. Hixon Mead of Longwood at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Bowen of Longwood. LONGWOOD TOWNSHIP PIONEERS.
Egbert Mead and wife returned from Seattle, Wash., on Sunday last. They have spent over two years in the Klondike region and appear to be well satisfied with their trip. The Clark Republican and Press Date: 10-25-1900.
|1880 Warner, Clark Co., Wisconsin Federal Census|
|Name||Kinship||S/M/D/W||Gender||Race||Age||Nativity||Occupation||Father's Nativity||Mother's Nativity|
|W. H. Mead||Self||M||Male||W||46||New York||Farmer||New York||New York|
|Julia A. Mead||Wife||M||Female||W||37||New York||Keeping House||New York||New York|
|Frank A. Mead||Son||S||Male||W||18||Wisconsin||New York||New York|
|Clara Mead||Dau||S||Female||W||15||Wisconsin||New York||New York|
|Hellen Mead||Dau||S||Female||W||12||Wisconsin||New York||New York|
|Harry Mead||Son||S||Male||W||10||Wisconsin||New York||New York|
|Angus Mead||Son||S||Male||W||5||Wisconsin||New York||New York|
|Philo Mead||Son||S||Male||W||2||Wisconsin||New York||New York|
|Betsey Smith||Mother-in-Law||M||Female||W||73||New York||New York||New York|
February 26, 1864, at the age of twenty-two, William Harrison Mead joined the Union Army in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. His records show his occupation was farming. He had light hair, a light complexion and grey eyes. He stood 5 feet 9 ½ inches tall and was sworn in at Brandy Station, Virginia, before Henry Stout. He was assigned to Co. C, B, 5th WI Infantry.
The Clark Co., WI History Buffs
Bio: Mead, William H. #2 (1833)
Bio: Mead, Geo. (1889)
Bio: Mead, Julia A. (History - 1842)
Bio: Mead, Philo (History 1851)
Bio: Mead, Stella (21-Mar-1900)
Bio: Mead, W. H. celebrates son's birth 1878
Bio: Mead, William
Bio: John Sanders - spouse of Martha Mead - (sister)
Obit: Hugh Mead (son)
Obit: Hixon Moses Mead (son)
Obit: Elenora Mead (sister in law)
Marriage: Hixon Mead (son) & Edna Bowen
Marriage: Moses Mead & Isabel McEwen
William Henry Harrison Mead is also featured in the book, "Civil War Soldiers in the heart of Clark Co., Wisconsin."
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs