Bio: Pickett, Samuel H. (History - 1854)
Surnames: PICKETT GRISWOLD SHERMAN MULTER
----Source: 1918 History of Clark County, Wisconsin; pg. 183
Mr. & Mrs. Samuel H. Pickett
Frank Pickett and Family
SAMUEL H. PICKETT, veteran of the Civil War, and pioneer of Unity Township, is one of the most highly estimable citizens in the county, and is setting a splendid example of loyalty and patriotism to the younger generation. He was born in the parental log cabin on a farm in Catteraugus County, N. Y., son of Eli K. and Elinda (Griswold) Pickett, grandson of Ansel Pickett, and descended from Revolutionary and 1812 ancestry. Ansel Picket was of Irish descent, and his wife of Holland Dutch blood. Eli K. Pickett fought in, the War of 1812, he and his wife both being natives of Connecticut. Samuel H. Pickett grew to manhood in his native state, and was married in 1854, coming a year later to Wisconsin, living the first summer in Waukesha County, and in the fall renting a farm in Washington County. In September, 1861, he enlisted in the Seventh Battery, Wisconsin Light Artillery, was mustered in at Milwaukee, and served in the South, being taken prisoner on Dec. 20, 1862, during Forrest's raid, at Humboldt, Tenn., paroled at Columbus, sent to St. Louis, and discharged from service March 3, 1863. In January 1864, he enlisted in Co. M., First Wisconsin Cavalry, and later became the regimental horseshoer, serving in the Army of the Cumberland, and under General William T. Sherman took part in, the battles of Wauseca, Kenesaw Mountain and Atlanta.
At the close of the war he was honorabl discharged at EdgevIlle, Tenn., and returned home to his farm in Washington County. In 1871, he set out with an ox team for Clark County, first reaching Neillsville, and then cutting his way through the roadless forests to Section 26, in what is now Unity Township, where he secured a tract of 120 acres of wild land., In the spring he located his family on this tract. For his first dwelling Mr. Pickett built a log house, 18 by 26 feet in size. His flour and other necessaries were obtained at Black River Falls, and for several years, before a road was constructed, had to her carried through the woods. Mr. Pickett, like most of the other pioneers, worked at logging in the winters. In time he cleared his homestead and built a brick veneer house and a frame barn. He was one of the men who organized Unity Township out of a part of Beaver, and was chairman of the township board for a number of years. He also helped to organize nearly all the school districts in his township, and held office as assessor and treasurer. For the last forty years he has served as justice of the peace. He is a member of the Grand Army Post at Spencer, and in politics has always been a Democrat. He and his wife are still enjoying good health in spite of the hardships of their early years in the county, and are now comfortably situated, having a large circle of friends and acquaintances, including all of the early settlers in this part of the county who still survive. Mr. Pickett was married Aug. 13, 1854, to Eliza Multer, who was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., Sept. 24, 1834, and this union was blessed with seven children: Helen, Frank, Eli, Kate, Samuel H., Mabel and Howard L.
The Pickett Family Farm
Left to right, JessiePickett, Earl Pickett, Frank Pickett,
F. M. Pickett (35 yrs. Town Chairman); Mrs. Louis "Winnie" Seefeldt,
Mrs. Roy (Blanche)
Powers, and Sarah Pickett. Three generations lived here at
Samuel Pickett arrived in Unity Township, Clark Co., Wisconsin with his family in 1871 from Hartford, Wis. He homesteaded the Gene Cross farm. In 1872 he bought a tract of land close by his oldest son, F. M. It was here that F. M. cleared the land and started farming. He built the large gable brick house for his wife, Sarah, in 1902.
When Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Pickett sold their farm, they moved in with their son. Later F. M.'s son, Earl, married and brough his new wife, Lessie, to live in the large home. The raised their family there and operated the farm which they acquired when F. M. died.
F. M. Pickett was an active member of the community. He served as town chairman for 25 years as well as serving as county supervisor and chairman of the board.
The 320 acre farm is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Jack Pickett. They milk 28 cows and have 30 heifers.
(excerpt from the Unity Township Centennial Newspaper; contributed by Dorene Newman)
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs