Bio: George W. Trogner, 1846

Contact: on Fri, 16 Feb 2001




----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge

George W. Trogner

GEORGE W. TROGNER, a well-known resident of Neillsville, of which place he is one of the most useful and respected citizens, was born in the state of New York, Aug. 13, 1846. His parents, Joseph and Elizabeth Trogner, were of German ancestry, but were born in America, the parents of both having been born in Germany. Joseph Trogner, who was a farmer, settled in Wisconsin in 1848, taking a homestead in Green County.

The subject of this sketch was a young man of 18 years, or thereabouts, when, in 1864, he enlisted for service in the Civil War, becoming a member of Company H, 38th Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers. The regiment joined the Army of the Potomac before Petersburg, and took part in the operations which resulted in the capture of the Weldon Railroad, in the action at Poplar Grove Church, and various skirmishes, until the close of the war, being mustered out at Madison in 1865.

He then went into the woods and engaged in logging, but soon came to Neillsville to work in the mill of Hewett & Woods, two years later being placed in charge of the mill. Being a carpenter by trade, he helped to build many of the early residences in Neillsville, and was thus occupied for three years. He then built the first wagon shop in the village, and made the first wagon and the first buggy ever manufactured in Clark County. Later, Mr. Trogner entered into carpenter work as a contractor, and also did general contracting. He built the First National Bank Building, the North Side School Building, the Clark County Bank Building, and the furniture factory.

He also superintended the construction of the Library Building, and the Neillsville Bank Building, and erected many fine residences, including his own dwelling, which is finished inside with walnut and red birch; also Banker Cornelius' residence. For fourteen years Mr. Trogner owned and operated the Neillsville planing mill, which was then a saw and planing mill and shingle mill. While thus occupied he built a substantial wood-working and carpenter shop, without a doubt the finest in the Northwest. As an expert cabinetmaker and mechanic he has gained a wide reputation. He has a very large and complete set of tools, each the best of its kind, and his work benches are models of convenience and construction. His supply of nails and screws would do credit to a large hardware store, and there is probably no man in Clark County who knows better how to use the various implements and accessories with which he has surrounded himself. In the rear end of his shop he has a fine planning machine, and a universal machine for doing all kinds of fine work. The machinery being propelled by an 8-horse power gasoline engine. Mr. Trogner has traveled as far West as Portland, Ore., where he followed his trade for a time. In Neillsville he has served eight years as alderman, assisting to pass whatever measures were enacted for the general good of the community.

He is a member of the local G. A. R. post, and is the oldest member of Lodge No. 198, 1. O. O. F., of Neillsville, joining it forty-three years ago. He has also been through the Grand Lodge, No. 44, of Pine Valley, and is a member of the Grand Encampment, having been through that also.

Mr. Trogner was first married to Sarah Smith of Black River Falls, daughter of Fred Smith, a pioneer of that region. She died, leaving four children. Charles, now residing in Washington, D. C., who is the second largest printer of the United States today; being next to the highest man in the Government Building office; George and Minnie, who are deceased, and Kate, wife of William Kavolts, of Marion, Ohio. Mr. Trogner married for his second wife Mrs. Sarah Perry, the widow of Edward F. Perry, and who, by her first husband, had one child, Maude, now Mrs. S. M. Crandall of Portland Ore. Of Mr. Trogner's second marriage one child has been born, Walter J., who is now a prominent attorney residing in Minneapolis, with offices at 805 and 807 Palace Building.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel