Stabnow, Henry Ferdinand (History - 1860)







----Source: 1918 History of Clark County, Wisconsin, pgs. 369 - 370

HENRY FERDINAND STABNOW, proprietor of a good estate within the corporation limits of Greenwood, Eaton Township, it lying in Section 2, is also a prominent business man of the village. He was born on a farm in Freedom Township, Sauk County, Wis., July 13, 1860, the farm being the old homestead of his parents, Siegfried and Augusta (Saustrow) Stabnow. The parents were natives of Germany, where they were married, and where the father followed the trade of cabinetmaker. There, two children were born to them, one of whom died in infancy. With the other, whose name was Herman, they left Germany in 1855, bound on a sailing vessel for the United States. On arriving in this country they made their way directly to Watertown, Wis., where they resided until 1858, and there two other children were born to them-Bertha and William.


In the year last mentioned they removed to Sauk County, making the journey by wagon, and settling on a forty-acre tract of wild woodland, away from any road. On this tract Mr. Stabnow erected a log house, about 20 by 28 feet in size, and containing two rooms and a garret. He had practically nothing to start with but his hands, and knew but little of farming, but learned how to grub in his first crops, and made use of an ox team as did the other pioneers. Baraboo was the nearest market, fourteen miles away, and he often walked the distance there and back, carrying home groceries, which he had obtained in exchange for farm produce. In time he not only cleared his original land, but purchased more until he had a tract of nearly 500 acres, and had erected good buildings on his property. He was a member of the Methodist Church, and in early days services were often held in his log house. His wife, Augusta, died about 1868, after they had had four more children, who were born in Sauk County, namely: Henry F., Minnie, Mary and Louise. Siegfried Stabnow subsequently married for his second wife Minnie Krause, who is now living on the old home farm in Sauk County at the age of over 70 years. He died in January, 1915, at the advanced age of 88.


Henry F. Stabnow grew up on his parents farm, and in his boyhood attended district school, where he acquired the elements of knowledge. At the age of 22 years, being as yet unmarried, he struck out for himself, going to Sauk City, where he worked at the trade of carpenter. In 1883 he went to South Dakota, locating in Brown County, Portage Township, where he took a homestead of 160 acres, and also an eighty-acre tree claim. The homestead consisted of prairie land. These tracts he proved up, leading a bachelor's life there until 1886 or 1887. He married Gusta Kleinschmidt, a native of Germany, and daughter of William Kleinschmidt, who had settled in Sauk County, Wis.


After their marriage he and his wife resided on his farm in South Dakota for eighteen years, during which time he brought it into a good state of cultivation. He also became one of the foremost citizens of that community, serving in various public offices. He was a member of the school board and of his township board, was assessor for a number of years and served two terms in the state legislature of South Dakota, being elected on the Republican ticket.


In 1901, Mr. Stabnow came to Clark County, Wis. with the thought of being near his brother, and intending to stay only three years, but after he became well acquainted with the county he liked it so well that he has made his permanent residence here. He located first in Warner Township, purchasing eighty acres of wild land in Section 13. Of that tract he improved fifteen acres and built a house and barn on it. After living there a year and a half he sold the place and purchased his present estate, consisting of forty-four acres of good land in Section 2, Eaton Township, and within the corporation limits of Greenwood. There were no buildings on it when he came, but the land had been partly cleared, though plenty of stumps had been left. He finished the job of clearing and has erected a fine residence and barn. He has a good dairy herd of graded Holstein cattle. Mr. Stabnow is also a shareholder in the Farmers Store at Greenwood, being elected a member of its board of directors in 1915, in which position he is still serving. He is also vice president of the Farmers and Merchants Bank. He has served four years as a member of the village council of Greenwood, was formerly assessor, and two years supervisor of the city.


Two children have been born to him and his wife-Eloda and Esther. Eloda, who was graduated from the Greenwood school, was a teacher for five or six terms, following that occupation, both in Clark County and South Dakota. She is now the wife of Edgar Uydyke (Updyke ), of South Dakota. Esther is also a graduate of the Greenwood school, and taught one term in South Dakota.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel