Bio:

Tufts, William C. (History 1873)

Posted by:

Transcriber

Email:

stan@wiclarkcountyhistory.org

Surnames:

TUFTS MCLEOD COVEY

 

----Source: 1918 History of Clark County, Wisconsin

WILLIAM C. TUFTS, banker and business man, and one of the leading citizens of the village of Withee, was born in Green Bay, Wis., Dec. 25, 1873, son of William S. and Anna (McLeod) Tufts, the father being a native of Wisconsin and the mother of Indiana. William S. Tufts, who was formerly identified with the lumber interests, came to what is now Withee in 1878 and entered into mercantile business there in 1882, and remained a resident of this county for the rest of his life. He also became interested in farming and was the owner of a sawmill seven miles north of Withee. In addition to these activities, he was one of the organizers of the State Bank of Withee, and one of its first directors. He served a term as sheriff of Clark county and was also chairman of the town board and a member of the school board, in politics being a Republican.

 

His fraternal society affiliations were with the Odd Fellows' Lodge, at Colby, and the Masonic Lodge at Greenwood. He died at the age of 51 years, and his wife at that of 42. They had four children: William C., Daniel J., John A., and Esther A. William C. Tufts, who was the eldest child of his parents was educated at Stevens Point, the Lawrence University at Appleton, Wis., and the State University of Wisconsin. For a few months he worked in the bank at Thorp and then became postmaster of Withee under President McKinley, being also interested in, the store with his father. In 1902 he entered the State Bank of Withee as cashier, and in 1907 became cashier of the State Bank of Owen, both of which positions he fills at the present time, there being an assistant cashier in each bank. Mr. Tufts is also vice-president of the Owen Canning Factory, and president of the Dairy Belt Land Company of Owen. He was town clerk of Hixon before the village of Withee was incorporated, and was afterwards supervisor of the village and its president for ten consecutive years. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge at Owen and of the Chapter and Commandery at Neillsville.

 

Mr. Tufts was married Dec. 20, 1895, to Viola E. Covey, who was born in Spokeville, Clark County, Wis., daughter of Martin and Mary Covey, her father having come to the county in early days with an ox team, as a pioneer settler. Mr. and Mrs. Tufts have three children: Ruth, who is a graduate of the State University, Kathryn and William C., Jr.

 

 


© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.

 

Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.

 

Become a Clark County History Buff

 

Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous
donations.

 

Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel.

 

CLARK CO. WI HISTORY HOME PAGE