Bio: Hartson, Henry H. (1856 - ?)
Contact: email@example.com on Sun, 11 Feb 2001
Surnames: HARTSON, CHAMBERLAIN, BROOKS, WELLEN
----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
Henry H. Hartson, 1856
HENRY H. HARTSON, a retired journalist, now residing in the village of Greenwood, was born in the town of Newchester, Adams County, Wis., July 24, 1856, son of Ebulius and Mary Ann (Chamberlain) Hartson. The father, who was a native of New York state, and was taken to Ohio at the age of 3 years, in 1846, came West to Elkhorn, Wis., from which place he subsequently removed to Adams County, then, about 1859, to Juneau County. From there in 1872, he moved to Clark County and bought a piece of wild land in Section 29, Grant Township. On this he built a log house and with practically nothing but his hands to work with, started to develop a farm. After a while he procured a yoke of cattle and during the thirteen years that he resided on his farm he made good progress in its improvement. At the end of the period mentioned he took up his residence in Greenwood, where he died Dec. 4, 1892, at the age of 77 years 7 months and 4 days. He was a veteran of the Civil War, having responded to the President's last call, for 100-day men, and being stationed during his period of service at Memphis. The G. A. R. Post at Greenwood numbered him among its members. His wife died Dec. 1, 1901, at the age of 86 years.
They were the parents of three children: Albert A., deceased; Eva, now Mrs. George R. Brooks, of Morriston, S. D., and Henry H. Henry H. Hartson acquired the elements of knowledge in the district school, but at an early age had to help his father on the farm. After beginning industrial life he spent eleven winters in the woods and three summers on the river. He also for a while conducted the stage line between Neillsville and Withee. Subsequently, he bought a half interest in a hardware business in Greenwood, which he carried on for four years with David Justice. In May, 1891, he purchased the Greenwood Gleaner. When he became postmaster, Aug. 1, 1897, he hired an editor for some ten years, and then turned the management and editorship over to his son, Harry E. Upon retiring from the postmastership, Nov. 4, 1914, Mr. Hartson again conducted the paper himself until July 1, 1916, when he sold out.
In August, 1916, Mr. Hartson became manager of the Greenwood Roller Mills, in which he owns an interest. His financial holdings also include stock in the Greenwood State Bank, in which he is a director.
He is a Republican in politics and has served on the council and school board of Greenwood, being a member of the latter when the school was built. He has also served on the board of the Presbyterian Church. Fraternally he is affiliated with Greenwood Lodge No. 249, A. F. & A. M., of Greenwood, and with the Woodmen and Beaver lodges. Mr. Hartson was married May 15, 1887, to Hilda Wellen, who was born in Norway, daughter of John and Eliza Wellen. Her parents were farming people, who came from Norway to Trempealeau County, Wis., in 1872,,being accompanied by four children-Matilda, now deceased; Richard and Hilda, twins, and Camilla. Four more were born to them in this country-Jalmer, Swen, Louis and Conrad. Mr. Wellen located on wild land and engaged in pioneer farming with an ox team and one cow. He spent the remainder of his life in Trempealeau County, where he became a prominent citizen.
A man of devout faith he was a faithful adherent of the Norwegian Lutheran faith, and helped to build a 'church of –that denomination in his neighborhood. Mr. and Mrs. Hartson were the parents of six children-Harry E., Wellen, Velma, Fred, Ruth and Marion. Harry E. lives in Greenwood, and travels as assistant state manager for the F. R. A. Insurance Co. Wellen is rural mail carrier on Route 4. Velma is now the wife of Dr. G. Jardine, of New Virginia. Fred is a member of Co. C, 107th Field Signal Battalion, 32nd Division.
[Descendants of Eubulius Grover Hartson]
by Derick S. Hartshorn, III
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs