Henry Salzwedel, 1878
firstname.lastname@example.org on Sat, 10 Feb 2001
Surname: SALZWEDEL, ROHM
----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
proprietor of the Poplar Cheese Factory in Beaver Township, and a
successful agriculturist, was born in Dodge County, Wis., Dec. 22,
1878, son of Charles and Wilhelmina (Rohm) Salzwedel. The parents
were born in Germany, the father, Nov. 6, 1851. He was a mason and
carpenter by trade and came to the United States in 1873, his wife
coming in the previous year. They were married in Dodge County,
where they resided twelve years, and where six children were born
to them: Ernest, Henry, Emma, Mary, Delia and Alice. They then came
to Clark County and here three more children were born--Clara and
two that died in infancy. Here also a tragedy occurred in the
family, Ernest being killed by a kick from a horse when he was 11
years old. Charles Salzwedel secured eighty acres of land in
Section 28, Beaver Township, it being all wild land and the only
road near the place being a cow path. They arrived at the place on
foot and the father carried their few belongings on his back
Loyal. For a residence he built a log house, 16 by 28 feet, of two rooms.
After settling on the place Charles worked at his trade most of the time, the farm being cleared by his son Henry, with the assistance of hired help. It was about five years after their arrival before they secured a team of horses. In time they erected the largest brick house in the county a house of sixteen rooms. Beginning with a log stable, they have progressed until they built a barn 36 by 80 feet, with a cement floor basement of their own construction, Henry having learned the trade of mason from his father, beginning his apprenticeship when only 12 years old. They also erected the brick cheese factory, known as Poplar Cheese Factory, and began its operation in 1889 with eleven patrons.
died in 1913. He had served the township as supervisor for several
terms. In religion he was a German Lutheran and helped to build the
two churches of that denomination constructed in the township.
After his father's death, Henry Salzwedel took over the cheese
factory. He had previously worked at his trade and in 1908 he
bought the family homestead, on which he raises a good grade of
stock. He has also built two silos, one 14 by 36 and the other 16
by 32 feet in size. The cheese factory now has thirty-three patrons
and uses on an average about 5,600 pounds of milk per day, and Mr.
Salzwedel owns the forty-acre tract on which the factory stands,
which he bought the year of his marriage. The latter event occurred
in 1899, when he was united with Helen Larson, in Warner Township.
She was a daughter of Anthony Larson, a pioneer of Alberta, Canada.
Mrs. Salzwedel have six children: Elsie, Ila, Flossie, Ira, Violet and Beulah.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.