Bio: Henry Stelloh, 1842
Contact: email@example.com on Sat, 17 Feb 2001
Surnames: STELLOH, FINK, IMISCH, MILLER, STOCKWELL, ROSING
----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Stelloh
HENRY STELLOH, of Neillsville, who for a number of years carried on agriculture successfully in Pine Valley Township, was born in Hanover, Germany, Aug. 25, 1842, son of Conrad and Margaret (Fink) Stelloh. Henry was one of nine children, the others being Mary, Margaret, Sophia, Anna, Detrich, William, Fred and Conrad. The father was a carpenter and Henry learned that trade from him, following it there until reaching the age of 26 years, when, in August, 1868, he set out for the United States, landing in NewYork after a seventeen days' voyage in a steamer. On August 2lst he reached Milwaukee, where he resided and worked at his trade until 1876. In April, 1870, he was married to Amelia Imisch, a native of Saxony, Germany, who came to the United States with her parents, August and Wilhelmina Imisch, when she was six months old. They located first in Racine County, Mr. Imisch afterwards taking a farm in Milwaukee County, which he developed from a primitive condition.
In 1876, Henry Stelloh entered into the manufacturing business, making sash and doors, in time developing it into a good business, which he sold. In 1894 he came to Clark County and secured a farm of 102 acres in Section 27, Pine Valley Township, only half an acre of the tract being then cleared, the rest being stump land. There was an old log cabin on the place, which he used for his first residence. The latter has since been replaced by a good eight-room house. He also built a barn 36 by 80 feet in size, and a silo 14 by 28 feet, the barn having a basement with cement floors. Both house and barn are equipped with electric light. Mr. Stelloh raised graded Holstein cattle, graded horses and some hogs, taking special pride in his cows, which were fine animals.
He is a shareholder, and was formerly vice president of the Farmers' Co-operative Elevator and Lumber Yard at Neillsville, and was one of the organizers of the Elevator Company. He is also a stockholder in the Pine Valley Butter Company, of which he is also president, and in the Wausau Packing Company. As one of the prominent citizens of his township he served two terms on the township board, as supervisor, and was for six years a member of the school board.
Mr. Stelloh also
helped to organize the Reformed Church, which formerly had a small
building in the township, but now worship in a neat edifice in
town. He served as a member of its board from its organization
until within the last few years. In February, 1917, he retired from
his farm and bought a pleasant home in Neillsville. Air. Stelloh's
first wife, Amelia, died March 13, 1913, at the age of 62 years.
Their children were: Emma, wife of Fred Zank of Pine Valley
Township; Anna, now Mrs. Magnus Miller, of Milwaukee; Ella, wife of
William Stockwell, of Pine Valley Township; Clara, residing at
home; Henry, who lives in Milwaukee, and Conrad and Fred and
Edward, who are associated together in the implement business in
Neillsville, under the firm name of Stelloh Brothers. After the
death of his first wife, Mr. Stelloh married Anna Rosing, who came
to the United States in 1886, and who now is with him in
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs