Herman Boettcher, 1846
firstname.lastname@example.org on Sat, 17 Feb 2001
Surname: BOETTCHER, REGOL, STROUTH
----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
HERMAN BOETTCHER, a prosperous stock farmer of Beaver Township, and a stockholder in the Greenwood creamery, was born in Saxony, Germany, May 26, 1846, son of August and Sophia (Regol) Boettcher, whose other children were Louis, now deceased, and August. Herman was the first member of the family to come to the United States, which he did in 1872. In his native land he had worked in coal mines and on the roads, which latter are there kept in a high state of perfection, and had also received a good schooling. After a voyage of three weeks he landed in America, and proceeded to Milwaukee, where he worked in a meat market and packing house for a while.
He was then engaged in farm work for two years, after which he went to Oshkosh, where he found employment in a sawmill and stayed a year, thence to Calumet County and subsequently coming to Clark County in 1874. His father and mother and brother Louis followed him about 1875 to this country. On arriving in Clark County, Mr. Boettcher secured a tract of 160 acres in Sections 5 and 34, Beaver Township, it being mostly covered with timber, but with about ten acres chopped over. There was no road past the place, the only access being along a chopped trail. There was a log house on the place, 16 to 22 feet, and containing only one room, and into this he moved his belongings, consisting of three trunks, four chairs and a No. 8 stove. The next year he bought a team of oxen, but was often obliged to carry supplies on his back from Unity. One winter he spent in logging, but most of his time was spent in clearing his land.
His parents resided on the farm with him until they died. They were members of the Lutheran Church. On March 23, 1884, Herman Boettcher was united in marriage with Henriette Strouth, who was born in Pommern, Germany, Aug. 15, 1859, and came to Unity Township, Clark County, with her sister, Hannah, in 1883. Her parents, Theodore and Caroline Strouth, died when she was an infant. They never left their native land, where the father was a laborer by occupation. Mr. And Mrs. Boettcher began domestic life in the original log house, which was their home for many years, Mrs. Boettcher spinning wool and making caps and socks for her husband, spinning being an occupation in which she still indulges.
In 1912 the new residence was built, a substantial building, rnaking a comfortable home. Mr. Boettcher has cleared nearly all of his farm, which contains eighty acres.
In 1913 he built a good frame barn, 36 by 80 feet in size, which is a better and more convenient building than the log barn measuring 30 by 72 feet, built in 1882. He raises a good grade of stock, and as a farmers is doing a successful business. He and his family are members of the German Lutheran Church in Unity Township, in the building of which he took a leading part, having since served several years on its board.
He and his wife
have had eight children: Anna (deceased), Mary, Max, Minnie,
William, an infant who died young, Louise, Elbert and Martha. For
ten years Max has run the farm.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs