Herman Sell, 1880
email@example.com on Sat, 10 Feb 2001
Surname: SELL, PIEPER
----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
HERMAN SELL, a prosperous stock farmer of Sections 23 and 24, Beaver Township, was born in Germany, July 6, 1880, son of Frederick and Lena Sell. In 1882 the parents left Germany with two children-Herman and August for the United States and on arriving in this country settled in Sheboygan County, where they stayed five years.
In 1887 they came to Clark County, locating two years later in Sections 23 and 24, the tract, consisting of eighty acres, being all wooded. Here Frederick Sell built a log house, 24 by 30 feet, and a log barn of the same size. He had a yoke of cattle and a "jumper," and with this assistance he began the work of improvement, which he continued until his death at the age of 56 years, Aug. 18, 1900. He was a member of the German Lutheran Church and helped to build the church of that denomination in Unity Township. Herman Sell, who was 7 years old when his parents settled on this place, attended school in the neighborhood and as he grew older, helped his father clear the home farm. The father had erected a frame barn, 64 by 36 feet, and this improvement has been supplemented by him through the erection of other useful buildings. Of the eighty acres he possesses, he inherited forty, buying the other forty from his brother, and now farms it all, raising Holstein cattle, a branch of industry which his father started before him.
He was a stockholder in the Woodside Cheese Factory before it was sold. Mr. Sell is a member of the German Lutheran Church of Loyal and contributed to the expense of building the new church edifice.
He was married, Nov. 1, 1906, to Lena Pieper, who was born in Juneau, Wis., daughter of Carl Pieper, her father being now a resident of Unity Township. He and his wife have three children, Hilbert, Jelma and Daily.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs