Jason Phillips, 1834
firstname.lastname@example.org on Sat, 17 Feb 2001
Surname: PHILLIPS, DRESSER, HOADLEY, TERRELL, DAVIS, PHILLIPS
----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
JASON PHILLIPS, an elderly resident of Chili, Fremont Township, has been a resident of this township for forty-six years, and is one of its most highly respected citizens, having a fine record as a pioneer farmer of Clark County and as a soldier of the Union in the stormy days of the Civil War. He was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., July 12, 1834, son of Eden and Sally (Dresser) Phillips, his mother being a native of New York State. Eden Phillips, the father, was born in Massachusetts, son of Jason Phillips, an Englishman, or of English origin, who settled in this country either towards the end of the colonial period, or soon after the establishment of the United States. There were seven children in the family of Eden and Sally Phillips, Jason being the fifth in order of birth. In his boyhood Jason attended a subscription school in New York state and grew up on his parents' farm. When he was 12 years old his father died, and he had to look after himself. Soon after he took up work on Lake Ontario and followed the water for about two years. At the age of 17 he came to Wisconsin, locating at Hartford, in the vicinity of which he worked on farms.
Subsequently he bought a farm on Empire Prairie, sixteen miles north of Madison, but after residing there awhile, sold it and bought a farm in Winnebago County, on which he erected buildings. There he resided twenty years, during which time he married Lovina Hoadley. Mr. Phillips next moved to Adams County, where he farmed for fifteen years. From there he enlisted in 1861 in Company E, 16th Wisconsin Infantry, being mustered in at Madison. His regiment was assigned to the Army of the Tennessee, and with it he took part in the battle of Shiloh, the siege of Vicksburg, the battles of Corinth and Atlanta, besides a number of skirmishes, being mustered out at Savannah, Ga., Dec. 30, 1864. He then returned home, where he had left his wife, and two children, Emily and Dexter.
In 1871 he and his family came to Clark County, locating in Section 36, Fremont Township, where he obtained forty acres of wild land. A road to the vicinity of his place had only just been cut out. Here he built a log house of three rooms, 20 by 22 feet, and started clearing his land with an ox team with which he had driven into the township and county. He also built a frame barn, and as time went on gradually cleared his land, his market being at Neillsville. From 1880 to 1900 he was postmaster of Snow post office, which was located at his house.
For some time he held office on the district school board, and also served as township assessor. About six years age Mr. Phillips sold his farm and moved to Chili, where he resides with his second wife, his first wife having died at the age of 40 years.
The present Mrs. Phillips, to whom he was married in 1879, was in maidenhood, Avilda Davis. She was born March 5, 1846, daughter of John T. and Eliza (Terrell) Davis, who came to Wisconsin from New York State, locating in Marquette County. Mr. Phillips is a member of James G. Blaine Post, No. 110 G. A. R.y of Marshfield, Wis. Of his second marriage no children were born. His daughter Emily now resides at Belfield, N. D. The son, Dexter W. Phillips, was born at Omro, Winnebago County, Wis., Nov. 7, 1855, and has spent the most of his life so far on the farm with his parents. He now owns the west half of the homestead in Fremont Township, and is engaged in farming. For three years, however, he followed railroading, and also spent twelve winters in the woods at lumbering.
He was married in
January, 1883, to Elizabeth Davis, and has had five children, of
whom Lenore is married and lives in Rock Township, Wood County;
Wayland F., a locomotive engineer, married Angel, and resides at
Gurney, Wis., and Myra M. is a teacher at Hazel, N.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs