Obit: Lindow, John F. (1868 - ?)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org on Sat, 17 Feb 2001
Surname: LINDOW, NIEMBERG, LOPAS, LUCKOW
----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
John F. Lindow, 1868
JOHN F. LINDOW, who has been engaged in agricultural work in Fremont Township for the last twenty-seven years, and has developed two good farms, was born in Calumet County, Wis., April 14, 1868, son of Frederick and Eliza (Niemberg) Lindow. Frederick, the father, was a native of Germany, born in Brandenberg. He came to the United States with two children-Augusta and William-landing, after a voyage of six weeks in a sailing vessel. Soon after reaching Wisconsin the wife died, and Frederick was subsequently married in Fond du Lac, this state, to Eliza Niemberg, who was a native of Pommern, Germany. About that time, or soon after, he drove with his family by ox team from Fond du Lac County to Calumet County, where he settled on forty acres of wild land. On this he first built a log house, later erecting good farm buildings, and increasing the size of his farm by the purchase of 100 acres more.
He became a prominent man in the township, often holding local office, and services of the Evangelical Church, to which he belonged, were frequently held in his house.
He died at the age of 66 years, but his wife is still living, being now close to 80 Years old. Their children were: Ernest, Louis, Fred, John F., Dan, Emil, Adolph (now deceased), Martha, August and Ida. John F. Lindow acquired the elements of knowledge in the district school, and was reared to manhood on his parents' farm in Calumet County. Coming to Clark County in 1890, he bought eighty acres of timbered land in Section 34, Fremont Township, and for two years led a bachelor's life, during which time he built a frame house and log barn, beginning farming operations with a team and two cows.
When ready to begin domestic life, he was married, July 26, 1892, to Ida Luckow, a native of Calumet County, Wis., and daughter of Herman and Caroline (Lopas) Luckow. He and his wife cleared the eighty acres and then, or before, bought eighty more in Sections 21 and 19, Fremont Township, which farm their son Arthur is now operating. They also built a basement barn, 40 by 70 feet, a silo, 12 by 33 feet, and a modern frame house. Mr. Lindow has attained a recognized place in the township as one of its representative citizens. He has served as township supervisor and as school treasurer, is a member of the Lynn Telephone Company which he has served as director, and of the Farmers' Co-operative Elevator Company, of Chili. He and his wife are members of the Evangelical Church. They have four children: Arthur, who married Esther Schilling; Amos, Clara and Ray.
John Lindow Family
Shirley Schwartz (family member)
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs