John Fisher, 1854
firstname.lastname@example.org on Sat, 17 Feb 2001
Surname: FISHER, SIEGFRIED, WOODRUFF, HILDERBRAND
----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
JOHN FISHER, SR., a pioneer settler of Sherman Township, of which he is still a resident, was born in Sandusky City, Ohio, Jan. 1, 1854, son of Gottlieb and Magdaline Fisher. When he was only 14 months old his parents removed to Sheboygan County, Wis., where he was reared. He had but little schooling, being obliged to work on his father's farm, and later he worked out two years in that county. It was in the fall of 1876 that he came to Clark County and bought an eighty-acre tract of land in section 26, Sherman Township. This land he obtained from a homesteader, who had cleared about five or six acres of it, and with whom he lived for awhile.
In the following year, however, not wishing to lead a bachelors' life, he went back to Sheboygan County and was there married, Feb. 17, 1877, to Augustina Frederica Siegfried, a native of Germany, who had come to the United States with relations. He had erected a small shack of logs on his place, and on his return with his wife they walked from Spencer, the nearest railroad point, five miles through the woods to the cabin, in which they began domestic life, modestly enough but with good hope for the future. Mr. Fisher soon got an ox team-the most necessary aid to the pioneer farmer-and for carrying purposes the first year used a "jumper." The second year, however, he obtained a wagon, which was the second wagon introduced into the township, the first having been brought in by Joe Upson. This was another great aid and was something that many pioneer settlers did not get until after they had been a number of years on their farms. A cow was also obtained, and thus provided with the most essential things, Mr. Fisher went ahead with courage and determination to succeed. The surrounding country was covered with timber, there being scarcely an opening anywhere near his place, and, of course, at that time, no road to or near it, so that he had to carry supplies from Spencer on his back through the woods--a hard task familiar to the pioneers, but which their sons are happily exempt from. There he and his wife lived for about sixteen years, during which time he cleared fifty acres of the land and built a house and barn of logs. He then sold that farm and in 1893, bought 160 acres of land in section 34, Sherman Township. Forty acres of this tract was cut over and he afterwards cleared a large part of the land, built a good house and barn, set out shade and fruit trees, and carried on general farming. His son John, built a saw mill in the vicinity, turning out shingle and lath, and also grinding feed, which was a convenience to all the neighborhood.
About 1910 Mr.
Fisher sold his second farm and buying seven acres in section 34,
built a comfortable residence in which he has since made his home.
From his earliest years in the township he has at various times
taken an active part in local government, becoming a member both of
the school board and side board in 1877 and having served on the
school board ever since. He was also assessor at intervals for
eighteen years. He and his wife are the parents of two children,
John and Mary. John, who married Hulda Hilderbrand, has five
children: Martin, Hulda, Arthur, Eldora and Wilbur. Mary, who is
the wife of Jess Woodruff, of Sherman Township, has four children:
Adeline, Martha, John and Ruth.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs