John Milton Philpott, 1870
email@example.com on Sat, 17 Feb 2001
Surname: PHILPOTT, BRASEE, HOLMES, CHESTERMAN, MORLEY
----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
JOHN MILTON PHILPOTT, proprietor of a planing mill, and also engaged in business as a contracting carpenter, at Loyal, Clark County, was born on his parents' farm in Loyal Township, this county, April 14, 1870. His childhood home was a log cabin, 16 by 20 feet in size, and his parents were Thomas and Emily (Brasee) Philpott. The father was born near Southampton, England, April 14, 1842, and was one of the four children of William and Eliza Philpott, the other three being William, Jr., Harry and Mary. William Philpott, Sr., who was a blacksmith, came with his family to the 'United States when his son Thomas was 16 years of age. He located at Iron Ridge, Dodge County, Wis., where he followed his trade. Thomas Philpott saw service in the Civil War, enlisting in Company 1, 29th Wisconsin Volunteers, and going to the front, served a year and a half. Then, returning home on furlough, he married Emily Brasee, and with his wife returned to the army, he as hospital steward and his wife as nurse. At the close of the war they returned home, but almost immediately afterwards set out for Clark County, journeying by stage to Sparta, and by jumper from that place to Neillsville. From the latter place they walked to their claim in Loyal Township, it being a tract of 160 acres. On arriving they took up their residence with neighbors until a cabin could be built, and then had nothing to start farming with but an axe and grub hoe. They cleared the first three acres by hand and later exchanged work with their neighbors and it was not until three years later that they were able to purchase an ox team. There were no roads, only trails, and supplies had to be carried on their backs from Neillsville.
After four years on that place, Thomas Philpott came to Loyal, then but a saw mill point, and being a blacksmith by trade, he opened the first blacksmith shop in Loyal, which he conducted for three years, also clearing off the first land where the village of Loyal now stands. Having by this time become a well known and popular citizen of the county he was elected on the Republican ticket as county sheriff, and as such served one term, and then a term as under-sheriff. He was then re-elected sheriff, served his term, and again became under-sheriff, holding, office in the two positions for eight years. Mr. Philpott then opened a general mercantile store in Loyal, which he conducted for seven years, at the end of which time he sold the business.
After remaining in the vicinity for three years, he went to Prentice, where for about seven years he was shipping clerk for the United States Hide and Leather Company. At the end of that time he went to Bremerton, Wash., where he has since held the position of timekeeper in the United States Navy Yard. While residing in Loyal, Thomas Philpott served as clerk of the village board for a number of years. He is a Methodist in religion and for a long time was the main pillar of the church of that denomination established in Neillsville.
He and his wife had four children: John M.; Pearl, now Mrs. J. H. Holmes, of Butte, Mont.; George, of Charleston, Wash., who is connected with the carpenter shop in the navy yard; and Guy, who is deceased. John M. Philpott acquired his education in the schools of this county, including the Neillsville high school. He then went to work in a drug store at Greenwood, where he remained for two years and a half, after which he took up carpenter work, going to Chicago, where he worked at that trade.
After the World's Fair in 1893, he returned to Clark County and aided in the construction of the schoolhouse in Loyal, which was then being built. He then became connected with planing mill work, as manager of the mill belonging to the local lumber company, and was thus occupied for about twelve years. In 1901 he erected the mill which he is now operating and has since been engaged in business for himself, also doing contract carpenter work. He is a stockholder in the Citizens State Bank of Loyal. Mr. Philpott has a good reputation as an able mechanic and his honesty and fair dealing are also widely recognized, qualities which have had much to do with his present prosperity. As a reliable citizen, he has been called upon at various times to serve in public office. Thus, he was village treasurer four years, clerk four or five years, and assessor two years. He also served two years as supervisor and a member of the county board. In politics he is a Republican.
Mr. Philpott was
married, Sept. 26, 1891, to Alice Chesterman, daughter of John and
Frances (Morley) Chesterman, of Loyal, Wis.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs