Bio: John P. Kauth, 1873
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org on Fri, 16 Feb 2001
Surnames: KAUTH, MERCLE, MARSHALL
----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
John P. Kauth Family and Residence
JOHN P. KAUTH, an enterprising farmer of section 14, Washburn Township, was born at Rockfield, Washington County, Wis., Jan. 20, 1873, son of Adam and Mary (Mercle) Kauth. He is a grandson of Phillip Kauth, a native of Germany, who came when a single man to the United States, landing in this country after a voyage of sixty days in a sailing vessel. Phillip settled in Washington County, Wis., where he married Catherine, also a native of Germany, who came to this country on a vessel that took ninety-six days to make the trip. They settled in the woods and in time carved out a home from the wilderness, not, however, without much labor and suffering many hardships in the earlier days. Their children were: Philip, Adam, Catherine, Ragina and Elizabeth. Philip Kauth took place among the prominent citizens of the locality, helping to organize the township and also to start St. Bonifice Catholic Church, of. which he and his family Were members. His son Adam, was born in Washington County, where he always lived, though neither he nor his wife reached old age, Adam dying when 49 years old, and his wife at the age of 46. Their children were: John, of Washburn Township, Peter and Andrew. The last named is dead, having been accidentally shot while hunting. Peter resides at Lake Mills, Wis.
John P. Kauth acquired his education in the district school and in the parochial school of the St. Mathias Church. As soon as he was old enough he learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed in Milwaukee for twelve years. He then took a farm in Washington Township, which he operated for awhile, but which he sold in 1903, coming to Clark County. Here he bought a tract of eighty acres in section 14, Washburn Township, the same which constitutes his present farm. Twenty acres of the land were cleared and there were log buildings on the place. He had one horse and a light buggy and about half a dozen chickens, with a rooster, and later he got a cow. At first Mr. Kauth had great trouble with the soil, which seemed unproductive, being composed almost entirely of quack grass sod. His first crops amounted to nothing, being so poor that he did not take the trouble to harvest them; but, by raising cows and using the fertilizer thus obtained he finally made it produce, and can now raise more hay from one acre than he then could from four. He has increased the size of his farm to 160 acres and now milks twenty-five cows. One of the adjuncts of his farm is a nice orchard of fruit trees and he also has a fine apiary of Italian bees, as well as a beautiful flower garden. His cattle are of the Holstein breed and he also raises a good grade of Belgian and Percheron horses. A good modern house, which he erected, burned, leaving him and his family with no personal possessions but the clothes on their backs, but though this was a severe loss, he started again, building another house, which is well furnished. He has also erected a barn, with cement floor basement, 36 by 80 feet, and a silo of 100 tons capacity, 14 by 30 feet in size. Mr. Kauth is a member of the Farmers' Co-operative Elevator and Lumber Company of Neillsville, also of the Shortville Creamery, serving five years as its director. He has also served two years as supervisor and nine years as a member of the school board. His fraternal affiliations are with the Odd Fellows of Neillsville and the Mystic workers.
Mr. Kauth was
married Nov. 27, 1894, to Anna Lahr, daughter of Nicholas and
Elizabeth (Pineon) Lahr, of Washington County, Wis. Her parents are
now deceased, Nicholas Lahr dying at the age of 65 years, and his
wife at that of 84. Mr. and Mrs. Kauth are the parents of
four children: Herbert, Helen, Lena and Norbert. Lena married Ordie
Marshall, and resides in section 16, Washburn Township. The others
are living at home. Mr. and Mrs. Kauth and their son Herbert, are
all members of the Mystic Workers of the World.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.