Bio: Joseph Kopp, 1838
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org on Fri, 16 Feb 2001
Surnames: KOPP, RUNG, SHERMAN, SHOCK, WINTON, COOK
----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
JOSEPH KOPP, for many years proprietor of West Levis Dairy Farm, located in section 6, Levis Township, was one of the early settlers in this township and a Civil War veteran. He was born in Bavaria, Germany Sept. 28, 1838, son of Michael and Anna Marie (Rung) Kopp. Educated in his native land, Joseph Kopp grew up on a farm, acquiring a knowledge of agriculture and was employed in farm work until he came to the United States in 1862, landing at New York from a steamer after a voyage of seventeen days. Coming west as far as Illinois, he remained in that state for two years and then enlisted in Company D, 64th Illinois regiment, being mustered in at Quincy, IL. He served until the close of the war, taking part in seventeen hard battles, besides a number of skirmishes, being what is known in military parlance as a sharpshooter. He was with Sherman's army in the fighting before Atlanta, at Kenesaw Mountain, Marietta, and the famous March to the Sea. Taking-part in the Grand Review at Washington, D. C., being mustered out at Louisville, Ky. There were but 350 men left of his regiment, which had been mustered in with 1,050.
Mr.Kopp came out of the great struggle without a scratch. Returning to Illinois, he remained there a few months, and then went to St. Charles, Minn., where he engaged in farming. Later he bought a farm in the township of Elba, Winona County, that state, it containing 160 acres of land, of which he sold eighty He then set to work to improve the other eighty acres.
He was married Mar. 3, 1867, to Louisa Shock, who was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, Jan. 3, 1848, daughter of Benjamin and Frances Shock, who were natives of Baden, Germany. The Shocks resided in Cincinnati many years, then went to farming in St. Charles Township, Winona County, Minn. Subsequently they returned to Cincinnati, where Benjamin and his wife died.
Mr Kopp remained on his farm in Elba Township for eight years, by the end of which time he had cleared and broken all the Ian . He then sold out and took up his residence in the village of St. Charles, where he conducted a restaurant business. After awhile he sold out that business also and in the spring of 1876 came to Clark County, for the next four years working on a farm in Washburn Township.
He then homesteaded the present place in section 6, Levis Township, it being a tract covered with woods and not accessible by any road. He had a horse, a cow and a few chickens. He built a frame house, 16 by 24 feet in size, and a log barn, but soon after suffered a great loss by a fire that destroyed his buildings, and he had to begin all over again. The farm contained 120 acres, of which he cleared a large part. He built a nice six room house, a barn, 42 by 66 feet in size, and other good buildings and followed a profitable dairy business. When he first settled here the nearest road was two miles away. He had to carry his supplies that distance to the house, but since then conditions have changed and in his latter years enjoyed the benefit of good roads, ready markets and other modern conveniences becoming one of the thriving men of his township.
He was a member of the G.A.R. post at Neillsville and formerly belonged to the Knights of Honor.
He and his wife have been the parents of six
children: Frank Joseph, who resides in Andover, So. Dakota; Fred
William, now deceased; Joseph M., residing on the home farm; George
Alexander, who married Bernice Winton, and also lives on the home
farm; Clara, now deceased, who was the wife of Wm. Cook, and at her
death left one daughter, Neorna L.; and Frances, who is deceased.
Mr. Kopp died Sept. 17, 1917.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.