Bio: Emerson, Lawrence (1873 - ?)
----Source: 1918 History of Clark Co., WI, by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
----Surnames: EMERSON, JOHNSON, CHRISTMAN
Lawrence Emerson, 1914 ca.
LAWRENCE EMERSON, proprietor of a good farm of 160 acres in Section 34, Beaver Township, was born in La Crosse County, Wis., Feb. 2, 1873, son of Andrew and Helen (Johnson) Emerson. A memoir of his parents may be found in the biography of his brother Frank, printed elsewhere in this volume. Lawrence was but two years old when his parents came to Clark County. He was educated in the district school, and as he grew to manhood became identified with farm work and lumbering, often working in the woods.
After some years of this kind of work he took up farming on his present place of 160 acres, of which about twenty acres were then cleared. There were no buildings on the place, and the approach to his farm was by a wagon road, which zigzagged through the woods, passing near his land. This was seventeen years ago, and two years previously, on Christmas Day, 1897, he had been married to Kate Christman, daughter of B. Christman, a pioneer settler in Clark County. They had first kept house on his father's farm, remaining there until he moved onto his own land. Mr. Emerson has now some sixty acres cleared and is engaged in raising registered Holstein cattle. Among the improvements on his place is a basement barn, with cement floor, 30 by 60 feet, and he has also erected numerous other buildings.
A substantial farmer and respected citizen of his township, he has taken a personal part in the affairs of local government, having been chairman of the township board for the last three years, and having served also as school clerk for nine years, and side supervisor one year. He and his wife have four children—Andrew, Caroline, John and Peter. The family are members of the Catholic Church.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs