Michael Johnson, 1872
email@example.com on Thu, 15 Feb 2001
Source: 1918 History of Clark Co., WI, by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
MICHAEL JOHNSON, part owner of a farm on 160 acres in Section 17, Levis Township, being in partnership with his father, was born on a farm in Norway, Dec. 19, 1872, son of Ole and Martha (Johnson) Johnson. In 1878, when he was about 6 years old, his parents emigrated to the United States, accompanied by their four children-John, Michael, Ole and Jennie. They arrived in Neillsville, this county, after a journey of three weeks and four days, and settled first on a tract of land in Section 18, Levins Township, which belonged to Mrs. Johnson's brother, Tobe Johnson. On that place they lived five years, during which time Michael attended school, walking three miles to the school at the Lynch bridge in Section 4, Levis Township. Ole Johnson then bought forty acres of the family's present farm in Section 17, it being then covered with timber, and on it built a log cabin, 28 by 30 feet in size, which has since been enlarged and improved into the present family residence. Here Michael grew to manhood, and after his school days were over was of material assistance to his father in clearing the farm, and has ever since remained associated with him.
He also worked in lumber camps eight winters, and in the drives on the river, working on the farm in summer. The farm is now well improved, having good buildings and silo, and Mr. Johnson and his father raise good stock, besides the usual crops. Michael Johnson is the present treasurer of Levis Township, and has held the position of school director for seven years.
For four years, also, he was treasurer of the Dells Dam Cheese Factory, which he helped to organize. He helped to build the Presbyterian Church of Levis Township, of which he is a member, and which his parents attend.
Mr. Johnson has never married. He is an industrious, practical farmer, and
a man of influence in the community in which he lives.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs