Lindow, Louis - History (1861)







----Source: HISTORY OF CLARK COUNTY, 1918, pages 324 - 325



                      Louis Lindow and Family

Louis Lindow, who is successfully operating a good far of 270 acres in Fremont Township, was born in Fond du Lac, Wis., Sept. 18, 1861. When a year old he was taken to Calumet county, Wis., where , as he grew up, he attended the district school in one of the old log schoolhouses of that early day. At the age of 25 he came to Clark County, and on Nov. 11, 1885, was married to Mary Luckow, who was born in Waukesha County, Wis., daughter of Herman and Caroline (Lopas) Luckow. Her parents were born and married in Germany, and came to the United States soon after, about 1856, landing in the country after a voyage of twenty-one days in a sailing vessel. They first located in Michigan, where one child, Carrie, was born. After two years they removed to Waukesha County, where Mr. Luckow rented a farm for nine years, during which time they had four more children: William, Elizabeth, Minnie and Mary. The family then moved to Calumet County, where they bought eighty acres of wild land in Woodville Township, which Mr. Luckow cleared, first building a log house. Afterwards, he increased the size of his farm by buying 100 acres more, and in time put up good buildings. His market was Sherwood, seven miles away, and he often walked to that town for supplies.


A German Lutheran in religion, he helped to build the church in his vicinity, later joining the Evangelicals. He died at the age of 56 years, June 7, 1885, but his wife is still living at the age of 86. She was born Jan. 13, 1831. Their four youngest children were born in Calumet County - Herman, George, Emma and Ida. Louis Lindow and wife located on a tract of sixty acres in Section 28, Fremont Township, Clark County, the land being wild and covered with timber. On it he erected a log building, his wife helping him to shingle the roof. It was a three-room structure, 16 by 26 feet in size, and stood near the site of the present schoolhouse. The first summer they got one cow and one horse, and walked four and a half miles to the old Snow P. O. for supplies. Both worked in the fields while clearing the farm. After four years they went back to Calumet County, where they rented the home place for eight years, at the end of that time returning to Clark County, and resuming work on their old farm, which in time they finished clearing. In 1899, Mr. Lindow built the present brick house of fourteen rooms, and in the same year erected the basement barn, 40 by 80 feet in size. In 1908, he built a silo, 16 by 33 feet. He is now farming 270 acres, and raising graded Holstein cattle, and a good grade of horses. In former days he also raised sheep and spun the wool for socks and mittens.


He is a member of the Chili Elevator Company, and has served as one of its directors, and also holds stock in the Chili Bank, in the Independent Harvester Company of Plano, Ill., and in the Lynn Telephone Company. As a member of the Evangelical Church, which he helped to build, he has held office on it's board. Mr. and Mrs. Lindow are the parents of eight children - Ida, George, Samuel, Alvin, Sarah, Walter, Lillie and Edward. Ida married Henry Nebel of Fremont Township, and has three children - Freda, Mildred and Lillian. George, who married Alice Erhardt, has three sons - Donald, Norman and Glen.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel