Milton L. Snyder, 1853
Transcribed by Janet
Source: 1918 History of Clark Co., WI; by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge, pg.493 - 494.
Surname: SNYDER, WHELAN, FURLONG, PARRETT, KREJCI, HARTSON
Milton L. Snyder & Family
MILTON L. SNYDER, a successful farmer of Section 29, York Township, was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., June 21, 1853. His father was Daniel Snyder, a farmer of German descent, who was, however born in New York State, and who there married Jane Ann Whelan, also a native of that state. Some years afterwards in 1854, Daniel came with his wife and two children, Milton and Josiah, to Fond du Lac County, and locating on a tract of wild land, situated in the woods, developed it into a farm. While there he and his wife had four other children born to them: Lorenzo Virgil, David and Cyrus. Later he and his family came to Clark County, settling first in the woods of Loyal Township, where he cleared about ten acres of land. Selling that property, he removed to York Township, buying a tract of forty acres in Section 29, which also was wild land. Of this he cleared ten acres and built a log building. Again he sold out and this time bought eighty acres in Section 31. At this latter place he stayed a number of years, clearing thirty acres and building log buildings. At last he sold this place also and took up his residence at Neillsville, where he lived retired until his death at the age of 70 years.
His wife died at the home of her son, Milton, in 1915, at the age of 86 years, having passed fifty-three years in this county, their advent here being in 1861. Milton L. Snyder, in his boyhood, attended a log schoolhouse covered with elm bark, in Fond du Lac County. He was reared on his parents' farm, and after coming to Clark County, worked in the woods during the winter, on the drive in spring and on the farm in summer.
He made his home with his parents until he was married, Aug. 23, 1879, in Neillsville, to Nellie Parrett, who was born in Osceola Township, Fond du Lac County, Nov. 15, 1856, in the log cabin on the farm of her parents, Louis and Maria (Furlong) Parrett. Her father was a native of France and her mother of Essex County, Mass., the former coming from France at the age of 21 years. Mr. Parrett farmed in Fond du Lac County up to the time of the Civil War, when he joined the 14th Wisconsin Regiment, subsequently dying in the hospital of diphtheria. He and his wife had three children: John, Jane, who became the wife of John Dwyer, and Nellie. The wife and mother died at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Snyder, at the age of 75 years. She had brought the family to Clark County, in 1870, locating in Pine Valley Township. Mr. and Mrs. Snyder located on a tract of forty acres in section 29, there being no road past the place. No start had been made towards removing the timber and there were no buildings. Mr. Snyder had a small frame house erected, which was poorly built, containing cracks that let in the cold. Their stock consisted of one cow and their market was at Neillsville, to and from which place they often walked, taking produce, for which they received very little, and bringing home supplies. It was about two years before they had an ox team. Their first conveyance was a jumper that Mr. Snyder made himself. As time went on he cleared his farm and then bought forty acres more which also had to be cleared. In 1891 he built the brick house of nine rooms. He also built the basement barn, 36 by 60 feet. In early days he raised sheep, his wife sometimes spinning yarn. He now raises a good grade of Holstein cattle and is conducting a well-equipped farm with profitable results.
Mr. Snyder was the first treasurer of School District, No. 2, and held office on the township side board. He belongs to the order of Woodmen and he and his family attend the Methodist Church. Mr. and Mrs. Snyder have been the parents of four children: Mamie Krejci, of York Township; Velma Hartson of Greenwood; Guy, who resides at home, and Gale, who died at the age of 6 years.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs