Ole J. Johnson, 1850
Source: 1918 History of Clark Co., WI, by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge, page 332
Ole J. Johnson and Family
Surname: JOHNSON, SIMONSON, BIGGERS, PETERSON,
OLE J. JOHNSON, the well-to-do proprietor of Rock Creek Farm in Eaton Township, an estate of 100 acres, was born in Norway Oct. 5, 1850, son of Johana; Olson, whose farm name was Kyshad, and Andrea Simonson. The parent were married in Norway and there five children were born to them: Johannah, Carrie, Anna, Simon and Ole J. Simon and Johannah were the first to come to the United States, locating at Black River Falls, Jackson County. Ole came next, in 1871, being followed by the rest of the family in 1872. All settled first in Jackson County. Ole J. had attended school in Norway, and learned the trade of shoemaker. On arriving at Black River Falls he entered the employ of a lumberman.. The next winter he worked in the woods of Clark County, in the camp of John Biggers, on the north fork of Rock Creek. Altogether he spent some fifteen seasons in lumber camps or on the drive. On Sept. 20, 1874, he was married to Carrie Peterson, who was born in Norway Sept. 19, 1856, daughter of Elias and Andrea (Johnson) Peterson. Her father had come to this country in 1870, being followed in 1872 by his wife and three children-Peter, Ingeborg and Carrie. The next year the rest of the children came, consisting of two daughters, both named Mary. The father was a shoemaker and farmer. For nine years after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Ole J. Johnson resided in Greenwood, keeping a boarding-house. Then, on June 11, 1883, they moved to Rock Creek, in Section 2, Eaton Township, Mr. Johnson buying forty acres of land, which constitutes a part of his present farm, known as Rock Creek Farm. The land was then wild, and was covered with pine stumps, and there were no buildings. Accordingly, he built a log house, which stood on the site of the present frame residence, and measured 18 by 26 feet, containing three rooms. In the same year he built a log barn that is still standing. He had a pair of three-year-old oxen and two cows, together with a few chickens and a pig, but no tools. His wife assisted him clearing the forty acres-a task that was finally accomplished-and he has since increased the size of the farm to 100 acres. He now has a good frame house of eight rooms, with other good buildings, including a silo, 14 by 28 feet in size, and keeps an automobile. He raises a good grade of stock and is doing a prosperous business.
He and his family are members of the Norwegian Lutheran Church, which he has served as a trustee much of the time.
Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have had a family,of twelve children, four of whom-John, Jonas, Edward and Carl-died when young. The others are: Carl Oscar and John Arthur, who are single; Anna Emelia, wife of John Johnson of Clark County; Elmer married Mabel S. Johnson. They reside on the old farm; Dolly Cecilia, single; Leo Theodore, single; Julia Edvarda, now deceased, who was the wife of Jerry Weyne, and Oliva Amalia, who married Ed Peterson, and died eight years ago at the age of 22, leaving one child, Chester. Anna E., now Mrs. John E. Johnson, has had three children-Emily, now deceased; Ella and Elias. Julia (Mrs. Weyne) left five children--Thomas, Elsie, Verne, Edna and Ole.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs