Joseph F. Steinwand
Posted by Janet on Sat, 17 Feb 2001
Source: 1918 History of Clark Co., WI, by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge, pg. 525
Joseph F. Steinwand, proprietor of the old-established Steinwand Cheese Factory, in Section 26, Colby Township, was born in Manitowoc County, Wis., Mar. 2, 1869, son of Ambrose and Susan (Weber) Steinwand. The parents were natives of Wurtemburg, Germany, coming to America before their marriage, which event took place in Wisconsin. After farming in Manitowoc County for ten years, Ambrose Steinwand, with his family, in 1875 came to Clark County, buying a quarter section of railroad land in Colby Township, Section 25. The tract was composed of new land, which he cleared, making his home there until his death in 1908. His wife is still living there with her son George. Ambrose Steinwand was active in various local affairs, serving as township treasurer for twenty years. He was also for some time chairman of the board and was a member of the school board of his district and its treasurer for years. He organized the Steinwand Cheese Factory in 1882, since which year it has been operated continuously. He and his wife had seven children: Anna, Joseph, Julia, Mary,, Ambrose, George and Theodore. Of these children Anna, Julia and Mary are now deceased. The others all reside in Colby Township.
Joseph F. Steinwand assisted his father in the factory from the time he was 16 years old. In 1895 he took charge of the factory, his father retiring in that year, and since then he has given it his full attention. The factory lies in Section 26, township of Colby. The present building was erected in 1897 and was then 28 by 50 feet in size, ground dimensions. In 1900 it was purchased by the subject of this sketch, he having up that time been simply the manager. In 1906 he built an addition 28 by 36 feet and since then has operated the plant as a combined cheese and butter factory. He has been very successful with the business, which for years has been one of the standard industries of Colby Township. Adjoining the factory Mr. Steinwand has a fine brick house with forty acres of land. He was married Nov. 26, 1895, to Louisa Zassenhaus, who was born in Clifftmine, Mich., June 6, 1869, daughter of William and Mary (Orth) Zassenhaus. Her father died at Colby, Mar. 9, 1912. The mother died Nov. 24, 1916. The children in the Zassenhaus family were: Louisa; Joseph, who lives in Minnesota; Agnes, of Hammond, Wis.; Helene and William, who are deceased; Mary, residing in Milwaukee; Clara, of Chicago, and Fred, who lives in Colby Township. Mr. and Mrs. Steinwand have six children, who were born as follows: Francis, Dec. 15, 1898; Joseph and Theodora (twins), Aug. 10, 1900; Richard, Mar. 11, 1902; Arnold, Mar. 29, 1903, and Mary, May 31, 1912.
Mr. Zassenhaus, father of Mrs. Steinwand, came to Clark County, in 1877, buying a farm in Green Grove Township. He was postmaster of Green Grove Post Office from 1881 to 1889. He was a Republican in politics and took quite an active part in local affairs. In 1888 he was elected register of deeds of Clark County, serving in that position for eight years. He was also a member of the township board for many years.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs