Webster Monroe Winn
Surnames: WINN, MALLORY, BROOKS, ISHAM, FINNER, DUBES, WAGE
Source: 1918 History of
Clark Co., WI, by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
*There may be a brief delay before the photo displays.
Mr. and Mrs. Webster M. Winn
WEBSTER MONROE WINN, a settler of York Township, now successfully operating a grist-mill in Granton, is a native of Wisconsin, having been born in a log cabin in Sheboygan County, Aug. 26, 1857. His parents were Simeon J. and Adaline (Mallory) Winn, both natives of Canada, the father of Colburne and the mother of Coburg. They were married in Wisconsin, to which state Simeon J. Winn came in 1852, taking a homestead in Greenbush Township, Sheboygan County, the land being covered with timber.
Adaline Mallory was already living in this state when he came, and after their marriage they settled on his farm, which he began to clear, like other early settlers, with an ox team. They had to carry their provisions from the nearest trading post, which was five miles away. There they remained for five years, during which time two children were born to them--Alice, who died in infancy, and Webster M. At the end of the period mentioned they moved from Sheboygan County to Canada, where they resided for several years, and had two more children-Fremont, who died in Fargo, N. D., in 1879, and Ella, who died in 1878. Subsequently, returning to Sheboygan county, Mr. Winn rented a farm for several years, and in 1875, while residing there, his wife died at the age of 38 years.
In the following year, 1876, he married for his second wife Martha Johnson, of Fond du Lac, by whom he had three children-all born in Clark County, Wis. Guy, now residing in the old homestead in Clark County; and Jennie and Etta, who are now living in Clark County. In 1876 Simeon J. Winn and family came to Clark County, locating on eighty acres of wild land in York Township, on which he built a log house, subsequently clearing the land. After developing his farm and attaining a fair degree of prosperity, he died at the age of 72 years. His second wife is still living. They were worthy people, and he was a member and supporter of the Methodist Church. Webster M. Winn had limited opportunities for obtaining an education, but succeeded in acquiring the most necessary elements. of knowledge. He was 19 years old when he came to Clark County, and at first went to work in a shingle mill which stood on the site of the present village of Granton, which was the known as Mapleworks. He also cut grass on the site of the present village. Later, he worked for George Brooks on a farm east of where the township hall now stands. Another employer of his was L. C. Chandler, when he helped to haul the rock for Judge O'Neill's residence. He worked four months for Mr. Brooks, and on the arrival of winter he went into the wood and was employed in cutting timber. The next spring he went to Owatonna, Minn., where he found work moving buildings. Afterwards, for a while, he drove an ox team in the woods. He now resolved to work for himself and, accordingly, he secured a piece of wild land in Section 27, York Township, and during the first year, being still a, bachelor, resided with a neighbor.
He then erected a frame house, and in 1881 was married to Kate L. Isham, a native of LaCrosse County, Wis., born in 1858, whose father, a carpenter, had located at West Salem, Wis., and had helped to build the first frame house in La Crosse. Mr. Winn began domestic life in the little frame house he had built on his land. He had no wagon when he began, and he and his wife often went visiting on one of the old-fashioned "jumpers." In time he cleared his farm, the size of which he increased to 160 acres. He also built a house of nine rooms; a barn 36 by 60 feet (his first barn having been a small log structure) and two silos. Besides raising shorthorn cattle he helped to organize and built a creamery and cheese factory, and for a number of years served in the office of justice of the peace.
His wife, a member of the Methodist Church, taught the first school in District No. 3, York Township. In 1910 they moved to Granton, where Mr. Winn bought and sold cattle and other stock, and later he bought the feed mill, which he now operates in company with his son, Byrl. His rise since pioneer days has been gradual, but sure, and he has not only attained to a prosperous condition in life, but has won the respect of a large circle of friends and acquaintances, in which his wife equally shares. On the incorporation of the village of Granton, in 1916, he was chosen as its first supervisor.
Mr. And Mrs. Winn have five children: Bertha, Clifford L., Floyd, Byrl and Ruby Bertha, formerly a teacher, married Paul Finner; they reside at Bangor, Wis., where he holds a position as school principal, and has two children, Winn and Richard. Clifford L., who married May Dubes, resides on the home farm, and has two children, Ralph and Ronald Floyd married Dora Wage, daughter of Thomas Wage. Byrl married Lela Potter and has on child, Auril. Ruby is a professional nurse.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.