William D. Lyon, 1862
firstname.lastname@example.org on Sat, 17 Feb 2001
Surname: LYON, HAGAR, SHAUER
Source: 1918 History of Clark Co., WI, by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
WILLIAM D. LYON, a well known and respected citizen of Loyal Township, now living practically retired in the village of Loyal, was born on a farm in Rubicon Township, Dodge County, Wis., May 4, 1862, son of Elijah B. and Phoebe Ann (Hagar) Lyon. The parents were both natives of Paterson, N. J., the father born Oct. 16, 1814, and the mother July 24, 1819, and they were married in the city of their birth. A few years later, with three children, they came to Wisconsin, settling in Dodge County on land which Elijah B. Lyon improved into a good farm. After a residence there of some years, they came in 1866 to Clark County, driving with two yoke of cattle. There were then eight children in the family. On arriving here the father located on an eighty-acre tract in section 29, Loyal Township. An old log house stood in a little opening of the timber and into this the family moved. There were then no roads, but rough tracks had been cut through the timber and over these Mr. Lyon used to drive with a "jumper," or rude sled, to Neillsville for supplies. In time he built a larger log house and cleared much of his land, also working at times in the woods. This place was his home for the rest of his life, and he died Mar. 4, 1888, his wife dying Feb. 28, 1880.
William D. Lyon was the youngest member of his parents' family. He obtained his education in Clark County, first attending the log schoolhouse of his district, and after that the frame building. Agriculture he learned on his parents' farm, where he grew to manhood, helping his father to clear the land. In time, he took over forty acres of the homestead and added 120 more to it to make a good farm. He built a frame house, also a good basement barn, 36 by 100 feet, a silo of 125 tons capacity, together with a machine-shed and other necessary buildings, this work occupying him for a number of years. , On his farm he raised Holstein cattle and a good grade of horses, besides the usual crops, and became one of the successful and prosperous men of his township. Besides looking after his farm, he helped to organize the North Star Cheese Factory of Loyal Township, and owns shares in it, as well as in the creamery and elevator, also being a stockholder in the Citizens State Bank of Loyal. Mr. Lyon removed to the village of Loyal October, 1915, and is, now practically retired, but still retains the ownership of his farm.
He was married, April 25, 1887, to Lillie Shauer, of Sheboygan County, Wis., whose parents years ago located in Loyal
Township. He and his wife are the parents of four children: Clair Sylvester,
born July 11, 1888, now a farmer of Beaver Township; Echo D., born Oct. 4,
1891, and Rollie G., born Jan. 23, 1893, who are residing at home, and
Lafayette D., born July 2, 1897, who is a student at the Wisconsin Business
College, at La Crosse.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.