William E. Peterson, 1884
firstname.lastname@example.org on Sun, 11 Feb 2001
Surname: PETERSON, OLSON, PEDERSON, THOMPSON
Source: 1918 History of Clark Co., WI, by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
WILLIAM E. PETERSON, proprietor of the Midway cheese factory in Section 27, Hoard Township, is a native of this township, having been born in Section 26, on his father's farm, Sept. 16, 1884. His parents, Peder and Caroline (Olson) Pederson, were born in Norway and came to America when young, the father homesteading 80 acres of his farm in Hoard Township and afterwards buying 80 acres more. Building a log cabin, he started clearing the farm with a team of oxen. In this work he secured the help of some Chippewa Indians, who resided in the vicinity. In time he made good progress in developing the place and became prosperous. He took a particular interest in the cheese making industry, for which he saw a bright future, and in the fall of 1913 gave one acre of land for the site of the factory now operated by his son William. His wife died Oct. 26, 1915, at the age of 59 years. They were the parents of five daughters and seven Sons, all now living, except one daughter. One son, Anton, is now fighting for his country in France with the American Expeditionary Forces.
William E. Peterson attended school until 1904 and then went to Madison, Wis., where he took the agricultural course in the university, completing it in 1908. He then took charge of the State Experimenting Farm at Ashland, Wis., holding that position for six years, at the end of which time he returned home. In 1915 he bought the cheese factory, which had been previously owned and operated by Fred Laabs, of Curtiss,. and has since been the sole owner and manager. He is doing a prosperous business, the factory ranking well up among the similar institutions of the county. Mr. Peterson is also a stockholder in the . Curtiss-Withee Telephone Company and in 1917 was instrumental in installing a switchboard for the company at Curtiss, in Section 28, Hoard Township. He was elected treasurer of the township in 1916 and held office for two years. He has identified himself closely with the interests of the community in which he has cast his lot and in which he is now one of the leading business citizens.
On July 15, 1917, he was married to Ida Thompson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs