Bio: Marsh, Alva B. 1860
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org on Sat, 10 Feb 2001
Surnames: MARSH, TAYLOR, ZIMMERMAN, MCINTIRE, MILLER
----Source: 1918 History of Clark County, Wisconsin
ALVAH B. MARSH, a well known and successful business man of Neillsville, was born in Mapleworks, Clark County, Dec. 8, 1860, son of Nelson and Amanda Roselia (Taylor) Marsh. His parents were both natives of Pennsylvania, the father born in Middletown, Aug. 14, 1828, and the mother Sept. 1, 1831. They were married in Pennsylvania Dec. 15, 1851. Nelson Marsh, who was of English descent, was a cooper by trade, which his father had been before him. After working at that occupation for some time in Pennsylvania, he joined the tide of westward emigration, homesteading eighty acres of wild land in Grant Township, Mapleworks, this county. On this tract he built a log cabin and began farming operations with an ox team. He and his wife brought with them their three first--born children--Joseph, Louis and Malvina, and their family was subsequently increased by the birth of four more--Sylvester L., Alva, Spencer M. and Justin, the last mentioned of whom died at the age of 2 years. Louis is also now deceased; Malvina is the wife of a Mr. Wright, of Clark County, and Joseph resides in Marshfield, Wis. Sylvester L. and Spencer M. are now both residents of California.
In those early days the market of the family was at Sparta, and they often walked there for supplies. Later when a grist mill was erected at Black River Falls they walked to that place and back, carrying their sacks of corn. Nelson Marsh became a prominent man in his township, assisting in local government affairs as chairman of the township board, and hence a member of the county board, and also teaching the first school himself. He was the first postmaster of Mapleworks, which position he held for thirty years or more. In addition to his farming operations, he did considerable lumbering. A loyal and patriotic citizen, he fought for the Union in the Civil War, serving as a member of. Company C, Third Wisconsin Infantry from 1862 to Aug. 3, 1865, during which time he was in the hospital three and a half months. After an industrious career of many years, he died April 24, 1904. His wife, Amanda, who was a daughter of Abram Taylor, of Clark County, died in October, 1897.
Alva B. Marsh was reared on his parents' farm, and in his boyhood attended the school taught by his father, afterwards receiving additional schooling in the Town of Grant, and taking a commercial course in the Northwestern Business College at Madison. He then began business life as a clerk in Mapleworks, being thus occupied for three years, at the end of which time he came to Neillsville as bookkeeper for W. S. Colborn, in the milling business, the firm later becoming the Neillsville Milling Co. Of this company, Mr. Marsh became a stockholder, serving also as secretary and treasurer for fifteen years, when the concern was sold to private parties. In 1904 Mr. Marsh disposed of his interests in it, building up a business of his own, which is now the Farmers' Co-operative Elevator Co. After disposing of his business to the farmers in 1914, he has developed some farm interests, and is now director and vice president of the First National Bank of Neillsville, and a director of the Commercial Bank of this city. In politics he is a Republican, and as a prominent citizen of business ability has taken part in public affairs, having served as supervisor and a member of the county board. His fraternal affiliations are with the Masonic order, in which he belongs to the Blue lodge, Chapter and Commandery. Mr. Marsh married Mary McIntire, daughter of Ira and Clara McIntire, of Neillsville. He and his wife have three children: Clara B., wife of W. D. Miller, of Scranton, Pa.; Fay, now Mrs. J. G. Zimmerman, of Neillsville, and Gerald, who is attending high school.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs