Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin

January 2, 2013, Page 7

Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News

January 1913


Grandma Jacques was one of the first persons in Neillsville to make use of the new parcels post law. She prepared some of her savory homemade sausage at which she is an expert, and sent it off to her daughter, Mrs. F. O. Balch, in Milwaukee.  It was Mrs. Jacques’ seventy-sixth birthday, but she is keenly alive to the latest and best things of life, and active both in mind and body. With only one known exception, Mrs. Jacques is the oldest white person born in Wisconsin.  She was born at Green Bay Jan. 1st, 1837.                                                                    


It is reported that preparations are now being made toward beginning work on East Fork Dam in Levis as soon as spring opens.                                                                                                         


Melchoir Hoesly has moved from the farm recently sold in the Town of Eaton to his father’s home farm in North Grant. The father, Markus Hoesly, will soon move into the city, taking possession of the D. Dickenson house, which he purchased.                                                                                          


George and Harry Wildish returned last week from Webster, Mt., where they spent some time during harvest and threshing.


The Military Ball at the Armory New Year’s night was largely attended and probably the most brilliant of any of the military balls given in Neillsville. The Second Regiment orchestra from Marshfield rendered splendid music, the many beautiful costumes of the ladies, the uniforms of the men of the National Guard all lent brilliance to the occasion.  Many out-of-town people were also present.                                                 


A fire at Curtiss New Year’s morning destroyed the store of Green Bros. and the residence of Fred Jones.


The engagement of Rev. Melvin Laird, pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Marshfield, to Miss Helen Connor, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Connor, is announced.                                                


On Wednesday evening, Jan. 22, 1913 the Domestic Science department of our school will offer for sale the canned fruit, which the sophomore class preserved this fall. Also, the articles made in sewing class this fall will be exhibited. We aim to introduce our work to the public and cordially invite everyone to come.  The sale and exhibit will begin at 3 p.m.  Don’t forget the date!!                                                                                          


Radical measures have been adopted by the school board of Spring Valley to stamp out the use of snuff and cigarettes by the pupils of the school.  The following resolution presented by Principal Olson of the school has been unanimously adopted by the board:


“Be it resolved, that no pupil of the Spring Valley Public School who habitually used tobacco, snuff or liquor, in any form or manner whatsoever, shall be promoted from one grade to another or graduated from said schools.”


This rule, it is said, will be rigidly enforced by Principal Olson and every teacher of the Spring Valley School.


About 25 girls can find steady and profitable employment at the Overall Factory.  With the machines to be added to the plant during the year, we will have the need of more girls to operate the same. We want girls from the country as well as from the city. Those from the country can be accommodated with furnished rooms in respectable city homes where they can board themselves if they so desire. Apply any time at the Neillsville Overall Mfg. Co.


Along the line of social center work in the Country we have seen nor heard of nothing better than was the editor’s privilege to witness at Columbia, last Saturday night.  It has been organized there among the younger men and now extending to the older men, a society called the U. B. O. C., the United Brotherhood of Columbia.  It has an excellent constitution and by-laws and holds its business meetings each Friday night.  Its lines of work are various: industrial, educational, social, etc., taking up such things as will work for the business uplift of the people and their mental, physical and moral well-being.


For instance, at the program given Saturday night a good little orchestra rendered


For instance, at the program given Saturday night a good little orchestra rendered some very excellent music and the vocal selections showed no lack of material in that line.  A home talent play was not only presented by home talent, but written by a local man, which was well brought out, rendered in such a way as to amuse in a wholesome manner and at the same time carried home some pointed lessons.


After the program, the remainder of the evening was spent in dancing, the home orchestra and other local musicians furnishing the music.


The leader of the movement appeared to be M. F. H. Varney. He has organized this movement and is pushing it with vigor.


A new Farmers’ Company has been organized north of Globe, to be called the Globe Cheese Co.  The factory will be located just over the south line of the Town of Eaton. The following are the officers: Frank Hatton, president; John Mund, Vice President; Wm. Ormond, Secretary and Frank Hoffman, Treasurer. The capital is $1,000.  The company has over 200 cows pledged and expects to begin operations by May 1.  It is also rumored that the cheese factory at Hewettville will be started up and another put into operation at the old skimming station at Dux’s. The factory at Columbia is also to be put into operation. It is said that not less than 800 new cheese factories will go into operation this spring in northern Wisconsin.


Saturday night Ed Gates’ smoke house took fire and was consumed, with a considerable quantity of meat.


Mrs. W. S. Irvine, of the Town of Beaver, went to Madison Tuesday to stay with her husband, who is sergeant-at-arms during the session of the legislature.


January 1953


Clark County dairy farmers have been confronted with the necessity of having milk houses on their farms, with many having been built this past year.


John Strangfeld has built a double-purpose milk house.  The building serves two purposes for him at his place alongside the Neillsville Mound; a feed room with a door leading into it from the stable and with a door leading from it to the outside. The well-appointed milk room doesn’t have a door leading directly from the feed room to the milk room. The milk is carried through the feed room, through the outer door into the open and then into the milk house.


Cold water is piped from the barn into the milk house and from the tank there to the stock tank at a little distance from the milk house. The piping is so arranged that the water can be cut off in the barn and the pipes will then drain out, preventing freezing.


The money outlay for the building was $225, which paid for the materials with construction done by the Strangfelds.


Skaters of Neillsville have rivals for the use of O’Neill Pond. The rivals are drivers of motor vehicles, who have sallied forth upon the ice, and one of whom has even questioned the right of the city authorities to put him off.


Upon this skating rink, set apart for the skaters of the community, and especially for the children, a motorcycle took a try Sunday. Then a little later, a gas-propelled motor scooter circled around. Finally a full-fledged automobile drove out on the ice and drove around on it.


This use of the skating rink is a new one on the city fathers, and it has stirred their dander.  They are certain that there is no question about their right to control the use of the rink and they tell The Press that they will take whatever steps are necessary to keep the ice clear for skaters.


The city has full rights to the pond and to the dam; has owned them for many years.  Hence they have a proprietary right to dictate the use to which the pond shall be put. But that is not the only resource.  They can bring a charge of disorderly conduct against a driver in such a case, and there is not much question but that the charge would stick, for no driver is in good order when he drives out upon the ice of a skating pond.              


Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Davel held a family reunion at their home in Loyal Sunday, held in honor of their son, A/C James Davel, who is stationed at the Castle Air Force base in California and is spending the holidays with his parents.


Three young men of Clark County are at Camp Roberts, Calif., a huge military installation located midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco on US 101, a main north and south highway.  This camp is now the home of the “Lucky Seventh” armored division.


The local men there are Pvt. Edward R. Schecklman, son of Mr. and Mrs. Leo Schecklman, Neillsville R 4; Pvt. Gene E. Scholtz, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Scholtz, Granton R 3, and Frederick C. Seelow, whose wife resides on Neillsville R 4.


The camp is recognized as one of the best training centers for combat infantrymen, having as instructors combat veterans of college grade.                                                                                        


Charlotte Baer Cook died January 10 in Milwaukee.


Mrs. Cook was widely known in Clark County, having at one time been a local writer for the Granton News, which was conducted by herself and her husband, Francis Joseph Baer.


She was born Charlotte I. Stockwell, oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. S. Stockwell. Birth took place July 14, 1872, at Port Huron, Michigan. The Stockwells came to Wisconsin in 1877, locating in La Crosse County.  There Mr. Stockwell was superintendent of schools. The family came to Clark County in 1885.  Mr. Stockwell held various county offices.  His name has been perpetuated in local history by appearing in the name of one or more subdivisions of Neillsville.  His daughter “Lottie” worked in the office of register of deeds.


Lottie’s marriage to Mr. Baer took place in 1903, and it was then that they became partners in the Granton newspaper as well as in family relation.  In addition to getting out Granton News, they wrote and published a history of Clark County.


The Baers returned to Neillsville in 1921, having merged their newspaper interests with others published in the county.  Their activities continued on in the old Neillsville Press, predecessor of the Clark Bounty Press. They also pioneered in establishing the Neillsville golf course.  To that enterprise, great effort and much money was devoted. A beautiful course was created, which remains a community monument to their enterprise, though something less than a commercial success. Eventually, after various vicissitudes, the course was taken over by the present non-profit organization, consisting of stockholding members.


Mr. Baer died in 1936.  In 1938 Lottie married Samuel J. Cook of the Town of Grant, an old friend.  They lived in Neillsville until his death. Since then Mrs. Cook has usually spent the open season in her house on Fifth Street and the winter with her daughter Helene, Mrs. Milton Herold in Milwaukee.


Gambles Store is holding a ½ price tire sale!  Buy one giant tire at our low sale price of $11.95 and get your next giant tire for one-half price, or $5.99.


Also, buy one Crest Inner Tube at the regular price and get a second inner tube of half-price of $1.62.


Corporal Chester Galinski is coming home from Korea on or about March 1.  He is due at Hixton March 16.


Chester is the fifth son of Mrs. Anna Galinski to fight for the country. Four of her boys were in service in World War II, and all returned home after their war experience.                               


A large group of relatives and friends joined Mr. and Mrs. John Seif at their home in Neillsville Friday evening, January 16, for dinner and an evening of visiting in celebration of their fiftieth wedding anniversary.


Both Mr. and Mrs. Seif are lifelong residents of Clark County.  Mrs. Seif was born in the Town of Weston.  Mr. Seif was born in the Town of Sherwood.  When he was four years old he moved with his parents to what is now known as the Town of Seif. The trip was made with oxen.  Mr. Seif’s father, Fred Seif, was one of the first settlers in that area and because of his prominence in town affairs the township was named for him, as was the school now known as the Worchel School.


Della Jacklin and John Seif were married in Neillsville on January 16, 1903, and went immediately to the home farm, where they lived for 46 years.  Mr. Seif spent a total of 65 years on this one farm.  He served 12 years as town chairman and held office as assessor and school treasurer for a number of years.  They retired to Neillsville in 1947.


Mrs. Seif is 70, Mr. Seif 74.  They have three children: Villa, Mrs. Lloyd Nelson of Foreston, Minn., Harley of Neillsville, and Robert, now on the Seif farm.  There are seven grandchildren.


Final details have been completed in the purchase of the F. L. Reinhard Co., Pontiac automobile and GMC truck dealer in Neillsville, by Wayne Wall of Chippewa Falls and Robert Horswill of Neillsville.


The business will be operated under the name of the W & H Pontiac Motors, and will continue to occupy the building on East Sixth Street occupied by the Reinhard Co.


Mr. Wall is a former resident of Neillsville, and is widely known here.  His wife is the former Joyce Horswill, a sister to Mr. Wall’s partner. They are the parents of two children. The family expects to move here as soon as quarters can be found.


Mr. Horswill has been connected with the automobile business in Neillsville for some time and is well known here.  He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. R. M. Horswill of Neillsville.                       


Morley’s Motley crew, formerly known as the Neillsville 7th and 8th grade basketball team, hung up their second cage victory in as many starts this year when they took the measure of Humbird’s 7th and 8th graders last Saturday night, 30 to 20.


Tommy Barr paced the locals with 15 points, while Swenson got 9 and Manz 6.  Humbird’s scoring was topped by Hardwick, with seven and Tom Larson, with six.



Earl Magnuson, a Neillsville area farmer, also worked as a milk can hauler, a daily chore of going from farm to farm on a designated route to pick up milk. Several area men had routes, hauling milk cans that were loaded into a truck box, then hauled to either the Neillsville Condensery, Neillsville Milk Products plant, or some nearby cheese factory for processing, a seven-days-a-week job. (Photo courtesy of Steve Roberts)





© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel