Early Clark County, Wisconsin Jails
The Old Jail of Clark County
From: "The Book of the Years", Clark County Centennial 1853-1953.
Transcribed for the Clark County Historical Society by Janet Schwarze
Clark county has had three jails. The first was built in 1866. It was made of oak planks, laid flat and thickly studded with spikes; constructed by Hewett, Woods & Co. It cost $1,300, and was sold in 1881 to P. D. lindsay for $25. It was later bought and used by the city.
The picture above is of the second jail. It was completed in 1982. The cost of it was borne by James O'Neill, Sr., James Hewett, Chauncey Blakeslee and James Sturdevant, according to the Cooper history of 19,18, they being "bondsmen of William C. Allen, defaulting county treasurer, in partial liquidation of the county's claim against them."
This second jail long stood on 'the site of the present jail building. The fact is, however, that, in strict accuracy, this building should be called the sheriff's residence. The real jail was to the rear and was built of brick. The jail part was torn down in 1896 and the sheriff's residence was moved to its present location at the southwest corner of Fifth and Court streets. There it is rendering service as an office and apartment building.
Neillsville, Clark Co., WI (View from O'Neill Creek)
Contributed by Bill Roberts of Neillsville, WI
The turret of the 1897 County Jail can be seen protruding toward the skyline, just to the left of Courthouse which is the large building occupying the higher ground on left side of this antique postcard.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs