Clark County, WI
The contact for this page is
James W. Sternitzky PhD.
1905 Map of Granton, Wisconsin
The early history of our area before
permanent settlers arrived was one of Indians and the fur trade
under the French first, then the English, and finally the U. S.
after 1815. The American Fur company dominated the fur trade in
its final years. A treaty was made with the Winnebago Indians in
1837 ceding their lands to the U. S. They nominally owned
roughly the territory east of the Black River and south of
Township 25 (York).
This area does not seem to have been opened to homesteading
before the early 1850's. There were few settlers before 1860.
The Town of Lynn was organized on March 21, 1862 but it
consisted of what is Fremont, Lynn and Grant. They met at the
home of John D. Wage. In 1868 Grant was detached and made a
separate town. In 1874 Fremont was created.
All of the early deeds are not an accurate record of the dates
the land was settled as it was not until July 5, 1864 that land
titles were regularly recorded by the Register of Deeds. This
area was surveyed much later. Hiram Renne was one of the very
early surveyors. Perhaps this accounts for the fact that he
owned so much land in very early times. In the Town of York John
Kintzele did much more detailed (sections and forty lines)
surveying after his arrival in 1883.
The Clark County administration consisted of various officers
and a 3 man board of commissioners in its earliest days. Charles
Renne was the representative from Weston. In 1869 - 70 Harmon
Allen was selected. In 1870 the County Board system was begun.
Granton Community Memories 1856-1976, page 123.
Todd Braun have copies of this book
and are willing to do free look-ups in it.
Click on the History - Grant
Township link on the left side of this page for more history of