Recollections of Columbia, Wisconsin
by Mabel Schlender Jonkel
Contributed by Sarah Poertner
transcribed by Crystal Wendt & Michelle Harder.
In the early 1900’s the young people had the "C C C Club." They fixed up the depot for club rooms. It was social but also it was their aim to help the community in any way they could. After several years they disbanded.
In 1913 the boys started a club, the UBOC (United Brethern of Columbia). They refused to tell the gals their name, so we called them the "Ugly Brutes of Columbia." We gals started a club, HHOC (Helping Hand of Columbia). When we did not explain the name, the boys called us the "Honey and Hugs." Both clubs worked for the betterment of the community and good time.
Most of males belonged to the Modern Woodman Lodge. They too, did many a good deed.
At several different times there were baseball clubs. In the early 1900’s the club had uniforms. They played a good game, engaging neighboring towns. Leat McKinney was pitcher; Harry Babcock, was catcher; Frank Lockman, first base; Paul McKinney, second base; Irving Twamley, short stop; Fritz Moser, third base; and there were quite a few back drops as fielders. We gals were proud of ‘em. We missed few home games and we rooted with vim and vigor.
The Columbia ball clubs of the 1900’s could rival any big league team of today - at least the excitement was as great. Here are (left to right), Fritz Moser, Wark Lockman, Irving Twamley, Leat McKinney, Frank Lockman, and Paul McKinney. The catcher, Harry Babcock, is not pictured.
In later years they had another good club which included several boys and Indians from Dells Dam.
TABLE OF CONTENTS ← → NEXT PAGE
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs