Cheese & Dairy
Longwood First Owners
Longwood Plat Maps
Clark County Land
"Longwood was named for the
tall timber that grew there"
Lula Mae Stewart
and Mead were by order of the county board, formed on the
same day. Nov. 16th 1895, and each of them were
duly organized at the spring town meeting in 1896. Longwood,
the 28th town to be formed is located in township 28 range 2
west and was previously encompassed within the boundaries
The town of Longwood takes it
name from the little burgh or hamlet long existing within
its borders, called Longwood. The hamlet itself, presumably
took its name from the long stretch of woods that grew in
its immediate and adjacent vicinity. The first meeting of
the town of Longwood was held in the (then) new town hall.
On the old maps, Longwood occupies a
position nearly equal in importance to the the county seat
of Neillsville, while the now prosperous villages of Owen,
Thorp and Withee are not to be found. It was post
office and important trading station. John McCarthy was the
A hotel was started by Harry Mead. He was
appointed to that position in 1874 by U.S. Grant. The
first Post Office for the township was just south of
Longwood and the Postmaster there was Mr. Sheldon. Later the
Post Office was moved to a store operated by Ben Andrews.
Mail was hauled in by stage between Withee and Greenwood.
A hotel was started by Harry Mead. It was large brick
building located across from the town hall. By 1918,
development of the community had already waned, but it was
still a busy little center with a store, a blacksmith shop,
a cheese factory, town hall, church and schoolhouse.
The early settlers came from Denmark, Norway, Sweden,
Germany and the eastern parts of the United States.
Among them were Lewis Miller, Ole Mathison, Tom Bredeson,
William and Byron Mead, John and Ed Sanders, Louis
Jorgenson, and Hans Jorstad. They brought little with
them except for their faith and courage. Once
settled, they formed tight bonds of friendships and laid
down the foundations of a community life which included,
dances, baseball games, horse races, card games, picnics
and good old fashioned fun. Together, they worked
side by side and endured many hardships. They
witnessed the impact of railroads, electricity,
telephones, as well as, tractors and automobiles as time
pushed them toward modern times.
Signature of U. S. Grant
Sources: 1909 History of
Clark Co., WI by Robert J. McBride; 1918 History of
Clark County, WI; Compiled by Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge,
Lula Mae Stewart's "Follow the River".