Cheese & Dairy
St. Anthony-St. Balthazus
City of Loyal
Loyal Plat Maps
Clark Co. Locals
Loyal Township was first settled some thirty-five
years ago by Erastus Mack and a few others who moved here from Canada.
A few years later came William Welsh and John Graves, followed by a
number of others from Dodge County, Wisconsin. Mr. John Graves built
and operated the first saw and flouring mill here; he also conducted
a general store for years.
The township is one of the finest, if not the best,
township in Clark County. Originally covered with a heavy growth of
pine and hardwood timber, consisting of white oak, red oak, black oak,
white and black ash, birch, maple, basswood and butternut. The pine
has nearly all been cut and manufactured now, but there are yet many
tracts of hardwood, which owing to the active demand for all kinds of
hardwood lumber, makes the land and timber very valuable.
When the land has been cleared of the timber it discloses
a rich and deep soil, adapted to all kinds of farming. Crops growing
very rapid and luxuriant and a failure of any crop has never been known.
The soil is a deep black loam with a clay subsoil. Garden truck, spring
and winter wheat, rye, barley, oats, peas, corn, ensilage, millet, clover
and timothy grow splendidly. We know of no place in Wisconsin where
the land is so naturally adapted to dairying purposes as this township.
Small streams of pure water abound, and with the rapid and luxuriant
growth of grass for stock pasturage and hay crop, make it peculiarly
adapted to the raising and keeping of stock.
The climate is healthy, as the face of the country
contains no swamps or stagnant places; the face of the country being
just undulating enough make good water-shed.
Good water is abundant, supplied by small streams
that wind their way in different directions throughout the town. All
farms are supplied with good wells of pure water in abundance. The average
depth of the wells throughout the township is about forty-five feet,
while the streams in the winter afford plenty of pure ice for domestic
and dairying purposes.
There are at present one hundred and sixty-seven
cleared farms, averaging in size of clearing from fifteen acres to one
hundred acres each of improvements. The farmers are a progressive and
active people, as evidenced by their constant improvements in building
new farm houses, and large and commodious barns for the proper storage
of their products.
There are numerous tracts of hardwood land still
covered with a rich growth of timber that can be bought at reasonable
prices, that still await settlement, which when settled and cleared
will develop some beautiful farms and comfortable homes.
The town includes within its boundaries over one
thousand inhabitants, which are supplied with five school districts
with surrounding towns, making in all nine school houses accessible
to the school children of the town.
Loyal, in general with most of the other towns in
Clark County, is supplied with splendid roads. Large sums of money being
expended each year in the building of new highways and maintaining of
old. The system of turnpiking in vogue throughout the whole county is
very commendable indeed, as there is no other agent that so rapidly
effects settlement and development of timbered country as good highways
for heavy teaming, or for those contemplating investments, or for those
who are looking for a home, good highways are one of the first items
that are considered.
The village of Loyal is situated nearly in the center
of the township. It is a beautifully situated place, high, clean and
healthful. Contains about three hundred inhabitants. Has a graded school
of two departments, three general stores, two hardware stores, a drug
store, two blacksmith shops, a hotel, saw mill, a new roller process
flouring mill, a furniture store, cheese factory, five religious societies--Methodist,
Baptist, Lutheran, Adventist and Catholic.
The New Lisbon, Necedah & Northern, a branch of the
Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, have their line of road located
through the township, including on its line the villages of Loyal and
Spokeville. Also the Wisconsin Central line, from Marshfield to Chippewa
Falls, is located through the town, and options on right of way have
been secured, and this line will also include the villages of Loyal
and Spokeville. When these two lines are built, and they are now working
on them, it will give the township excellent railroad facilities. The
village of Spokeville is situated on the east line of the town, about
four miles from the village of Loyal. It contains a new mill, shingle
and lath mill, excelsior factory, general store, blacksmith shop, and
a number of residences, and is, withal, a very promising little town.
of Andrew Emerson
are located on one of the largest farms in the county, in the township
of Loyal, about two miles from the village of Loyal. Mr. Emerson has
about two hundred and fifty acres under cultivation in this farm. He
owns several large tracts of land in the towns of Loyal and Beaver,
including the whole of section thirty-four in the town of Beaver. He
has an immense herd of horses and cattle on his farm--usually has about
one hundred head of cattle.
Mr. Emerson was born in Norway in 1843. He came to America in 1854--to
LaCrosse, Wisconsin. He lived there until 1876 when he came to his present
location in this county. He has been interested in lumbering in this
county quite largely, was manager of Gile & Holoway's logging and farming
interests for the first few years of his residence here. He was married
at LaCrosse in 1872. Has been a member of the county board for three
or four years.
Source: "Clark Co., WI Illustrated",
By Henry S. Mulvey (1890)