Erected in 1878 and completed in
November of that year. An $18,300 bid for
was accepted from Nowland and Wilcos of Janesville,
Wisconsin. $20,000 was borrowed from the state
trust fund to build both the new courthouse and
a jail. The tower was removed during a large
scale remodeling in 1937. July 2, 1858, while
still under construction, both facilities burned.
Consequently, a much less expensive one was built,
but later sold and removed.