Warner Township Pioneers
By Sharon Short & the Clark Co., WI History Buffs
~Return to Index~
HAGLUND family, Warner township
1905 #145 Hageland, Luan Head W M 49 M Sweden Sweden Taylor 8 O F F Charlotte Wife W F 46 M Sweden Sweden House Keeper Oswald Son W M 19 S Sweden Sweden Farm Laborer Gustave Son W M 16 S Sweden Sweden Farm Laborer Arthur Son W M 13 S Illinois Sweden Hilda Daughter W F 11 S Illinois Sweden Bernard Son W M 9 S Illinois Sweden Jensina Daughter W F 6 s Illinois Sweden Elmer Son W M 4 S Illinois Sweden
1906-1920 sec 14 no residence G. H. Haglund (1926 Rich Marek)
Aug 19, 1901: Real Estate Transfer: N. C. Foster Lumber Co. to Swan Haglund, nw 1/4 sec 14 27 2w, $2,400.
HAGLUND, Swan (Ivan/Luan) Gustave (8 Sep 1855 15 Sep 1907)
S.G. Haglund died at his home in the town of Warner Sept. 15, 1907, after an illness of a few months. His death was caused by tubercular peritonitis, to relieve which he underwent an operation at St. Joseph's Hospital, Marshfield, recently. Mr. Haglund went to California last spring hoping the change of climate would benefit him. He was pleased with California and returned to dispose of his property here. He failed rapidly after his return and died a few months afterward. Mr. Haglund was born in Sweden, Sept. 8, 1855, being 52 years and a week old when he died. He was married in the later 70's to Miss Gudmondson. Twelve children were born to them, two of them dying before they left Sweden and a baby (Karl Russel b. 3-18-1903, d. 5-15-1903) here about four years ago. Of the nine living, two are in the West, Hugo (Greenwood cemetery: Hugo Vincent b. 1880, d. 8-24-1936), at Carrington, N.D., and Edvald (1905 census = Oswald, later = Ed) at Havre, Mont.; Mrs. Alex (Agnes) Behrens, the oldest daughter, lives south of town. Four boys and two girls live at home with their mother. All were present at the funeral except the two boys in the West. The family came to America in April 1889, locating in Chicago, where Mr. Haglund worked at the tailor trade. After living in Chicago about twelve years they came to Greenwood. Mr. Haglund bought the Bilshowsky property and conducted a general store business for a time and then moved his family to a farm in the town of Warner, where they have lived since. During this latter time Mr. Haglund worked at his trade in Chicago. The funeral was held from the home in Warner. The remains were laid to rest in the Greenwood Cemetery. Members of the local lodge of Beavers, of which deceased was a member, were present in a body at the burial services.
HAGLUND, Charlotte nee Gudmondson (20 Sept 1858 - 2 April 1942)
Mrs. Charlotte Haglund, 83, pioneer resident here died at the Neillsville Hospital this morning, Apr. 2, 1942 of old age complications. She had been in failing health all winter.
Funeral services were held in the Stabnow Funeral Home and in the United Lutheran Church. Burial was made in the Greenwood Cemetery. Mrs. Haglund was born in Sweden on Sept. 20, 1858 and came to this country with her husband, Gustave, and family about 49 years ago. Her husband died 34 years ago. Surviving are four sons, Gust, Havre, Mont.; Ed, Lewistown, N.D.; Arthur, Bismarck, N.D.; Elmer, St. Paul, Minn.; Mrs. Leon (Tinsina) Clute, Havre, Mont.; Mrs. Ted (Hilda) Johnson, St. Paul, Minn. and Mrs. Agnes Behrens, Greenwood.
Behrens, Agnes Theresa nee HAGLUND (March 31 1871 - 23 June 1954)
Mrs. Agnes Behrens, 73, died of a heart attack June 23, 1954, at the home of her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. James Redgren, at Menomonie. She had been in ill health the past several years. Funeral services were conducted at Our Savior's Lutheran Church. Burial took place in the Greenwood Cemetery. Mrs. Behrens, nee Haglund, was born March 31, 1871, in Sweden. At the age of eight years, she came to America and settled in Chicago with her parents. Later the family came to Greenwood and lived on a farm southwest of here. On Dec. 31, 1903, she was married here to Alec Behrens. After their marriage, they resided on a farm south of here, then moved to a farm northeast of here. Mr. Behrens died in Aug. 1941, and in 1942, she moved to the city. Mrs. Behrens was a member of Our Savior's Lutheran Church and its Good Hope Ladies Aid Society the local Order of the Eastern Star, Greenwood Women s Club and a charter member of the Hemlock Community Aid. She is survived by five sons: Edwin Behrens, Owen; Louis Behrens, Greenwood; Karl Behrens, Franklin Park, Ill.; Harry Behrens, Miami, Fla. and William Behrens, Torrance, Calif. Seven daughters: Mrs. Adolph (Adeline) Jackson, Owen; Mrs. A.J. (Irma) Hertzog, New Orleans, La.; Mrs. Harold (Lucille) Schmidt, Suring; Mrs. James (Lillian) Redgren, Menomonie; Mrs. Churchill (Mildred) Eisenhart, Kensington, Md.; Mrs. Rex (Eileen) Battenberg, Chicago and Mrs. Harold (Edith) Warner, Chetek. A sister Mrs. Tensina Heisler, Seattle, Wash and three brothers, Gust Haglund, Hardy, Mont.; Arthur Haglund, Denmark, S.D. and Elmer Haglund, St. Paul. A son, Lee, six brothers (Ed, Bernard, Hugo, Karl Russell, plus two in Sweden) and a sister (Hilda) preceded her in death.
May 15, 1905: Hugo Haglund left for the West Sunday. Mrs. Otto Anderson visited Mrs. Haglund Monday afternoon. Mesdames K. Anderson, Haglund, O. Varney, Warner and Arnold were entertained at Mrs. Lovina Warner's Saturday afternoon. Hemlock news
Feb 15, 1906: Mrs. Alex Behrens, who has been visiting her mother, Mrs. Haglund, since Christmas, has gone to Greenwood to stay with Mrs. Borseth awhile.
March 8, 1906: Building operations have begun on the new creamery to be built at Warner's corners on land bought from S. G. Haglund. Richard Einfeldt has the contract to do the carpenter work. Hemlock news
March 22, 1906: Mr. Haglund went to Chicago last week to work in a tailor shop. Mrs. Haglund went to Greenwood Monday to see her daughter, Mrs. Behrens who is still very sick. Hemlock news
Dec 27, 1906: Joseph Klinke, Albert Eidsmoe, Adolph McKenna and Edwald Haglund returned Sat morning from La Crosse where they have been attending Toland's business college. All except Adolph McKenna will return after the holidays. Greenwood Gleaner
Dec 10, 1914: Tensina Haglund spent Saturday at the farm. Hemlock news
Dec 12, 1914: Miss Tensie Haglund spent Saturday at her brother Hugo's
Dec 24, 1914: Tensina Haglund helped her brother Hugo, cook for the wood sawers the past week. Hemlock news
HAGLUND, Tensina marriage 23 Nov 1915
Leon C. Clute and Miss Tensina Haglund were quietly married at the home of the bride's mother, Mrs. S.G. Haglund of Greenwood. Rev. of the German Lutheran Church performed the ceremony. The young couple was attended by Mr. Ed Arends as best man and the bride's sister Miss Hilda Haglund, as bridesmaid. The bride is a daughter of Mrs. S.G. Haglund. The groom is the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. C.H. Clute. He has been dealing in automobiles and accessories for some time past and has established a profitable business in his line. [:..Mr. Curtis Clute was married Nov. 7, 1888, to Della Babcock, who was born in Mauston' Wis., daughter of Charles and Sarah Ann (Fluno) Babcock, her father being a pioneer farmer of that totality. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Clute... Leon, now engaged in the automobile business in Greenwood, who married Tensenia Haglund, and has one child, Geraldine Richard, who is attending the School of Pharmacy at Marquette, and Gertrude May, a graduate of the University of Valparaiso, Ind., who formerly taught school in Clark County, but now resides in Chicago..."] 1918 History
HAGLUND, Elmer marriage 1 OCT 1920
Mr. Elmer Haglund and Miss Bertha Zimmerman were united at the Lutheran Parsonage Oct. 1st, 1920. The groom is the son of Mrs. Haglund, while his bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Zimmerman Sr. on route one. They left the same day for Minneapolis, where the groom is employed, to make their future home.
Oct 4, 1934: The following prizes were awarded at the R.N.A. card party at Allards hall Monday evening: 500 -- Mrs. Ed Hinker, Mrs. Jos. Schmitz, Mrs. W. C. Steiger; Bridge -- Mrs. L. Cox, Mrs. Palmer Vinger, Mrs. G. I. Mullendore; Schafskopf -- Henry Stabnow, Mrs. A. H. Noetzel, Mrs. Irvine Gates; Skat -- Marcellus Hinker, John Lindner, Hugo Haglund.
January 1936: The Moonlight Gardens dance hall, Greenwood, burned to the ground in an early morning blaze on Saturday. The fire threatened danger to the entire city for a time when a high wind carried burning embers out over the town. The fire, of unknown origin, was discovered shortly after 2 a.m. by Gilbert Rhode, a farm youth, who had attended a dance at the hall that evening and was driving through Greenwood after having taken a companion home. He notified the fire department. Firemen were unable to check the rapid spread of the flames but succeeded in saving the home of Mrs. Charlotte Haglund, next to the flaming building. Snow on the roofs of the nearby buildings was credited with preventing the fire from spreading farther. The Moonlight Gardens hall, formerly known as the Bagley hall, was built in 1892. The present owner, Charles Stout, estimated the los at $25,000, which is partly covered by insurance. Included in the loss were the set of drums owned by James Neuenfeldt, who had left them in the hall after the dance.
HAILEY, Warner township
1875 census: Haley, Michael: 1 male
1880 sec 8 no residence M. Hailey (1893 J. Sanford)
HAILEY, Michael (c1836 - Jan 1907)
...Michael Haley (a cripple in that one knee was stiff, shortening that leg) lived 1 miles southeast of the school house..." (Varney letter March 10, 1937 Braun Settlement School History)
1/24/1907: "DIED IN MAD HOUSE: Last Saturday old Michael Haley, an early resident of Clark County and well remembered by the older resident of Greenwood, died in the state asylum at West Salem, Wis., after twenty-five years of insane raving and delusions. The records of the asylum, as furnished by Supt. O. Cullisckson, show that he was committed from this County July 7, 1882, at the age of 46 years, to the state asylum at Oshkosh, and a few years later was transferred the West Salem asylum, where he had remained ever since. From some of the older residents it is learned that old Michael was a bachelor, who lived very much alone, on what is now known as the John Sanford farm, west of Greenwood. He is said to have depended largely upon his vegetable garden for revenue. While not a recluse he lived alone and to himself, and it is thought his lonesome life had much to do with turning his mind. It is remembered that he used to wander about with a witch hazel bush, claiming to be able to locate wells with its aid. Nothing can be learned of his history previous to his settlement here, and if there was any sentimental disappointment or tragedy connected with it, it probably is buried with him. At the asylum he claimed to have a brother living in Greenwood, and was so positive in the assertion that inquiry was recently made of Postmaster Hartson by the asylum superintendent, but those of the old time residents here who knew him say it must have been an insane delusion of the man, as no brother is known to have ever lived here. While not of the violent type, his insanity was considered dangerous enough to warrant having him committed to the asylum Source: GREENWOOD GLEANER
HAMBLIN family, Warner township
1895 census, head of family: E. C. Hamplin 1 male, 1 female
"E.C. Hamplin" between the Goodwin and Rand families on the 1895 census, think "b" was mistaken and writen as "p". No Hamplin families found in CC. Also see William Goodwin, Warner township bio.
HAMBLIN, Jane nee Chambers (10 June 1843 - 15 Mar 1921)
Mrs. Jane Hamblin died at the home of her son, Wm. Goodwin, March 15, after a few days illness, having nearly reached the age of 78 years. She was stricken with paralysis the Friday before her death from which she did not recover. Jane Chambers was born in Ohio June 10, 1843, and when very young came with her parents to Milwaukee, where she lived until 12 years old, then moving to Elroy, Juneau Co., where she grew up. In 1860 she was married to Royal Goodwin, who later was in the Civil War. In 1876 she was married to E. Hamblin, who died twenty years ago. For 17 years she lived in Black River Falls and for the last years has made her home with her son William in this village (Loyal, Clark Co, Wis.). The funeral services were held at the M. E. Church. Interment was in the Greenwood Cemetery.
CC marriages: 24 Oct 1886 Lydia Hamblin married Bryan Markam.
CC births: 11 May 1905 Vivian M. Hamblin
HANSON, Louis family, Warner township
1905 #12 Hanson, Louis Head W M 32 M Norway Norway Day Laborer 12 O M H Alma Wife W F 23 M Norway Norway House Keeper Leona Daughter W F 3 S Wisconsin Norway Hans Brother W M 22 S Norway Norway Day Laborer 12
Per the 1905 census, neighbors of the Louis Hanson family lived in what was known as the "West Side", Warner township sections 19-21; 27-34 west of the Black River. No information found on the Louis and Alma Hanson family, also checked Hansen.
HANSON, Elmer family, Warner township
1905 #1 Hanson, Elmer Head W M 41 M Norway Norway Farm Laborer 12 Rental Christina Wife W F 29 M Norway Norway House Keeper Emil Son W M 8 S Wisconsin Norway Hazel Daughter W F 6 S Wisconsin Norway Ida Daughter W F 4 S Wisconsin Norway Edna Daughter W F 2 S Wisconsin Norway Anna Daughter W F 2/12 S Wisconsin Norway Anderson, Edwin Servant W M 13 S Sweden Sweden Farm Laborer 12
Per the 1905 census, neighbors the Elmer Hanson family lived in the Braun Settlement area, west of the Black River in Warner sections 4-9. The Withee farm was located in sec 4 so maybe this family lived in one of the rental houses and worked for the Withee family.
Pre-1907 births: Emil Hanson 9 Feb 1897; Ida Hanson 3 Dec 1902; Edna Hanson 12 Nov 1903; Anna E. Hansen 29 Mar 1905
HANSON, Hazel marriage 11 Jan 1920
Miss Hazel Hansen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Hansen of Owen was united in marriage to Mr. Louis Larsen of Waupaca on Jan. 11, 1920 at the First Congregational Church of Eau Claire. The ceremony was witnessed by a brother of the groom and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Larsen of Eau Claire. The young couple will be at home after Feb 1st at Waupaca, Wis., where the groom is employed.
HANSON, Ida marriage 1 July 1920
Miss Ida Hanson, second oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Hanson of Owen, and Mr. Oscar Larson of Abbotsford were united in marriage at the Lutheran Parsonage at Abbotsford, July the first. The bride is well known here and is one of Owen's popular young ladies. The groom, son of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Larson of Abbotsford. The happy couple left for Waupaca, Oshkosh and several other places where they will spend their honeymoon.
They will make their home in this city after July 15.
HARLOW family, Warner township
1895 census, head of family: W. W. Harlow 1 male, 2 female
1880 sec 33 no residence F. M. Harlow 1893 sec 33 residence F. M. Harlow
1880 sec 34 no residence Wlm Harlow 1893 sec 34 residence W. W. Harlow
HARLOW, Francis M. (10 July 1833 - 9 Nov 1894)
Francis M. Harlow, of section 33, Warner Township was born in Hastings Co, Upper Canada, July 10, 1833, the son of Hezekiah and Julia A. (Weese) Harlow. The father was the son of John Harlow, a ship carpenter by trade, who came from England when a young man and the mother was a daughter of John Weese, of German ancestry. The parents had ten children, only three now living: Mary A., now Mrs. Hubbell, of Hastings Co, Upper Canada; Francis, our subject, and Charles E., who, if living, resides in New York State, but has not been heard from for several years. He entered 160 acres of land one mile south of the village of Loyal in Loyal Township, the same fall, but on account of sickness in his family he returned to Canada, and thereby lost his claim. He remained until 1865, when he came to Genessee Co, Michigan, bringing his family, and remained until the spring of 1868. Then, on account of his wife's sickness, he returned to Canada, and in June, 1872, removed to this county, settling on section 20, township 27, range 2 west. In the fall of 1874 he settled on his present farm of forty acres, thirty-two of which he has since cleared. He erected a fine frame house, which was burned February 9, 1882, and nearly everything was consumed, with no insurance. Mr. Harlow was married Dec 5, 1855, to Miriam Hubbell, a daughter of Barce and Candace (Guernsey) Hubbell, the former a native of Upper Canada and the latter of Connecticut. Mr. and Mrs. Harlow have had seven children, three of whom are now living: William married Louisa Hocks, lives in this township, and has one child, Dimple May, (son George married Ida White, daughter Mariam married Ed Vine) Both Mr. and Mrs. Harlow are members of the Baptist Church. History 1891
"...The earliest settlers about Greenwood include... Francis Harlow came in 1856, returned to Canada, then came again in 1872..." The Hub of Clark Co (1853 - 1934)
HARLOW, Mariam nee Hubble (21 July 1829 - 15 Jan 1929)
Mariam Hubble was born July 21, 1829 at Roddin, Ontario, Canada, and died Jan. 15, 1929 at Marshfield, Wis., at the age of 99 years 5 months and 24 days. She spent her girlhood days in Canada and was married to Francis M. Harlow of Canada. They came to Greenwood and were among some of the first settlers of that place. Mr. Harlow died in 1891. Deceased leaves one son, George Harlow of Perkinstown, Wis., One son, William, died in 1927 at Shelton, Wash. And one daughter, Mrs. Ed (Mariam) Vine died in 1913 at Stone Lake, Wis. Funeral services were held at the home of her nephew, W.E. Hubble. The body was laid to rest in the Greenwood Cemetery. 1905 Warner census: Vine, Edward Head W M 36 M Wisconsin New York Farmer 9 O F Marian Wife W F 31 M Wisconsin Canada House Keeper Myrtle Daughter W F 10 S Wisconsin Wisconsin Ella Daughter W F 7 S Wisconsin Wisconsin Candace Daughter W F 5 S Wisconsin Wisconsin Alice Daughter W F 2 S Wisconsin Wisconsin Harlow, Marian Mother in law W F 74 W Canada Canada
HARLOW, William W. marriage - 4 April 1886
Married, at the residence of Mr. Willard Pounder, April 4, 1886, by G. C. Andrews, Mr. W.W. Harlow to Miss Louis Hocks, both of the town of Eaton, Clark Co.
Greenwood High School HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 1906: Matilda Elstrom (Mrs. C. W. Sorenson), Longwood, WI; Dimple Harlow (Mrs. A. Eidsmore), Harlowton, MT; Bessie Fradette (Mrs. M. Burch), Toulan, IL; Robert Zetsche (teacher), Hixton, WI; Joseph Klinke (merchant), Greenwood, WI; Frances Anderson (lives on claim), Conrad, MT.
1905 #98 Harlow, George Head W M 35 M Canada Canada Farmer 9 O M F Ida Wife W F 31 M Canada Canada House Keeper Nina daughter W F 8 S Wisconsin Canada Phillip son W M 7 S Wisconsin Canada Fern daughter W F 2 S Wisconsin Canada
1906 sec 24 residence Geo F. Harlow
HARLOW, George (24 Sept 1868 - 19 June 1931)
George Harlow died June 19, 1931 at Medford, Wis., of pneumonia after being ill two weeks. He was born Sept. 24, 1868 at Ontario, Canada and moved to Greenwood with his parents at the age of four years. He was married to Ida C. White in 1893, residing at Greenwood until 1907, when they moved to Taylor County, where he has since resided. To this union were born five children, Nina (Mrs. Ray Warner) of Ironwood, Mich. Philip, who preceded him in death June 21, 1912; Fern (Mrs. Ora Warner) of Rib Lake, Wis.; Elso (Mrs. Albert Schwartz) of Minneapolis, Minn.; Edna at home and an adopted son, Earl Kelly. Funeral services were held at the First Methodist Church at Medford Wis. Interment was at Evergreen Cemetery at that place. Out of town relatives and friends who attended the funeral were: Philip White, Mr. and Mrs. James White, Mr. and Mrs. Herb White, Mr and Mrs. James Colby, Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert Polton, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Swieso of Loyal; Mr. Emil Haupt, Mayme and Harold Haupt, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Hubble and Mr. and Mrs. Peter Johnson of Greenwood; Mr. and Mrs. Ed Vine and George Vine of Birchwood; Mr. and Mrs. Asa Warner, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Warner, Mr. and Mrs. Ed James of Jump River; Mr. and Mrs. Frank Keefer, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Quinn, Mrs. E. Keefer, Mrs. W. A. Bingham, Mr. and Mrs. R. A. Burss, Mrs. John Collins, Mr. and Mrs. Roy Armstrong of Hannibal; Mr. and Mr. Harry Bull and Mrs. Tom Gulso and son of Maplehurst.
EARL KELLEY, adopted son of George and Ida Harlow:
adopted son of George and Ida Harlow: Died at her home, April 22, 1912,
Mrs. S. R. Kelley, at the age of thirty-nine years. Edith Elizabeth Voss was
born Oct. 6, 1872, in Dane Co, Wisc, the fourth child of Mr. and Mrs. E. Voss,
and of a family of five children. Her first six years were spent on the farm
where she was born, afterwards moving with her people to Lodi, Wis. The family
remained there until 1886 when a new home was made at Black River Falls. After
completing her education she taught successfully in the public schools of
Jackson and Clark counties, both before and after her marriage. On May 30th,
1892, she was married at Sparta, Wis., to S. R. Kelley, moving to Greenwood a
short time afterward, living on two different farms northeast of this city. Nine
years ago the family came to Greenwood where they have resided since. The
untimely death of the deceased leaves
nine children, Velma, Vivian, Harley, Verletta, Charles, Leonard, Floyd, Edith
and Earl (b. 1911) and infant of two weeks. A husband, mother, Mrs. M. J.
Winter of Black River Falls, two sisters, Mrs. Davidson of Ironton and Mrs.
McWilliams of Schlerville, two brothers, Wm. E. of Westmore, Mont., and
Sylvester Voss of Black River Falls two step sisters, Mrs. J. E. Dimmick of
Black River Falls, and Mrs. D. O. Sweet of Dos Palos, Cal., one step brother,
Dr. E. H. Winter of Augusta, Wis., to mourn her loss. Burial was made in
The widow Ida Harlow, daughter of Phillip White, next married George Fiddler per the following obit of her father.
White, Philip S. (22 Nov 1848 - 20 Feb 1939)
Philip S. White, 90-year-old pioneer resident of our community, died of heart trouble and pneumonia Feb. 20, at the home of his son, James White. Mr., White was born in Frankfort, Ontario, Canada, Nov. 22, 1848. He was married there to Miss Ellen McKensie Sept. 19, 1872. In 1878 Mr. and Mrs. White came to the United States, settling in Outagamie Co, where they lived until their coming to Clark Co in 1880. He purchased wild land in the Town of York and lived there for 14 years. In 1899 he obtained a larger tract of land near Loyal, which he worked until 1913. Moving to the village of Loyal at this time, Mr. White made his home here until the death of his wife in 1919, and had since lived with his sons, James and Herbert. Surviving are five daughters: Mrs. George (Ida) Fiddler, Lakeland, Fla., Mrs. Norman (Eunice) Rogers, Harlowton, Mont., Mrs. Hobert (Alice) Swieso, Loyal, Mrs. James (Mina) Colby, and Mrs., Walter (Effie) Swieso, Greenwood: and five sons: Will and Dave, Spokane, Wash., Frank, Chattaroy, Wash., and James and Herbert, Loyal. One daughter, Mrs. Emil (Mary) Haupt of Greenwood died 23 years ago. Two sisters, Mrs. Emma Phillips, Michigan, and Mrs. Catherine Walker, Alabama, also survive. Mrs. Walker who is 83 years old, returned to Alabama several weeks ago after a visit with her brother here. Funeral services were held in the Methodist Church. Interment was in the Loyal Cemetery.
Nov 20, 1893 York: Mrs. George Harlow, of Greenwood, visited with friends at this place last week.
Jan 25, 1906: A brand new little daughter (Elsalee) is reported as arriving at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Harlow, in the town of Beaver Tuesday morning (Jan 23).
March 15, 1906: The little daughter (probably Fern) of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Harlow who live in the town of Beaver got one cheek and arm quite badly burned and bruised early last week by pulling a hot flat iron off the board while her mother's back was turned. It is thought the wounds will not prove as serious as was at first supposed.
1907 Township Officers for Warner, Clark Co., Wisconsin.
Constables: A. Johnson, B. F. Ketchpaw, S. J. Smith and Geo. Harlow.
HARLOW, Phillip Francis (7 May 1898 - 21 June 1912)
On last Friday afternoon at about 5 o'clock a runaway accident occurred near Loyal that resulted in the death of Phillip Harlow and injury to his grandfather Phillip White. They were returning home after doing a little trading in the village when they met an old friend of Mr. White, Hans Schmidt, who raised the stick he was carrying in greeting them. The team became frightened and unmanageable finally throwing the occupants out of the buggy. The younger one was run over across the temple killing him instantly and his grandfather was pitched forward back of the horses breaking his shoulder and injuring his back, Mr. White is almost prostrate with grief over the accident but is entirely blameless in the matter. (Grandfather Phillip White lived to be 90 years old, died in 1939) Phillip Francis Harlow was born May 7, 1898, and died June 21, 1912, at the age of 14 years, 1 month and 14 days. He was the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. George Harlow, former residents of Greenwood, but now of Hannibal, Wis. Funeral services were held at the Presbyterian church. Burial was made in the Greenwood Cemetery.
HEAD family, Warner township
1906 sec 12, no residence J. D. Head etal (1915 sec 12 Farmer's & Mer Bank, Mrs. Emma Johnson)
1906 - 1915 sec 14, 23 J. B. Head
Most of the Head families lived in Humbird, Mentor township but not J. D. or J.B. Head found, no Head families found in Warner township,
HEAGLE family, Warner township
See Ole Johnson family, Warner township
1880 sec 1, 11, 12, 14 no residences B.B. Healey (1893 H.H. Camp properties, logging)
HEGGESTA family, Warner township
1906 sec 32 residence John Heggesta; sec 33 no residence John Heggesta
HEGGESTA, John Ole (2 June 1867 - 1 June 1938)
John Ole Heggesta was born June 2, 1867 at Blanchardville, Wisc. On Feb 17, 1894 he was united in marriage to Mrs. Ellen Eldsmos at Blanchardville. In 1904 they moved to Greenwood, but 11 years later sold their property and moved to Harlowton, Montana. In the fall of 1915 they returned to Greenwood and in 1917 they moved to Jackson Co. In 1930 they moved to Abbotsford where Mrs Heggesta died. Mr. Heggesta was a member of the Lutheran Church and acted as school clerk while in Jackson Co. Mr. Heggesta passed away June 1, 1938 at Madison, Wisc of a heart ailment, having reached the age of 70 years. He is survived by one son, Lawrence, two daughters, Mrs. Ed Jolivette of Abbotsford and Mrs. A. W. Erickson of Madison one brother, George of Blanchardville.
Funeral services were conducted at Blanchardville with burial taking place there.
HEGGESTA, Ellen Christine nee Engen (4 Mar 1861 - 13 Feb 1934)
Ellen Christine Engen was born March 4, 1861 in the Town of Primrose, Dane Co, Wis., where she grew to young womanhood. In 1882 she was united in marriage to Tosten Eidsmoe, who passed away in 1889. Two sons, Albert, who died in 1916 and Sever, who died in 1920 were born to them. On Feb. 17, 1894 she was united in marriage to John Heggesta at Monroe. Residing in the Town of Moscow, Blanchardville, until 1904 when they came to Greenwood, Clark Co and resided here for 13 years. Then they moved to a farm in the town of Garden Valley, Jackson Co. In Sept. 1931 they moved to Abbotsford, Clark Co, where they resided until the time of her death on Feb. 13, 1934. The remains were taken to Balanchardville, where the funeral services were held at the York Church, Burial in the York Cemetery. Besides her husband, she leaves to mourn her loss, one son, Lawrence of Hixton four daughters, Mrs. A.W. Erickson of Madison Mrs. Edwin Jolivette and Mrs. Oscar H. Nelson of Abbotsford one sister, Mrs. Henry Eidsmoe of Blanchardville. An infant daughter preceded her in death in 1899, also three brothers and two sisters.
Greenwood High School Class of 1914: Lawrence Higgesta, Greenwood, WI
Greenwood High School Class of 1915: Eda Heggesta, Greenwood, WI
March 8, 1906: One of Henry Bredson's little boys was bitten last Wednesday by a dog belonging to John Heggesta and as a consequence the dog and several others in the neighborhood have been sent to the happy hunting grounds of dogdom.
HEMERSBACH family, Warner township
See Schoenwetter, Thorson family, Warner township
HEMLOCK Settlement, Warner township
The 1914 Flood at Hemlock [History]
Hemlock, located twenty miles north of Neillsville (three and one-half miles north of Greenwood), in Warner Township (sec 15), is the location of the dam of the Black River Logging Company's dam, also of a grist and sawmill, the latter owned by Niran H. Withee. The dam was completed in 1879, at a cost of $21,000, and is one of the most complete works of improvement in the county. Of the other improvements, the gristmill was finished in 1879, and is supplied with three-run of stone. It is a frame, four stories high, and does a large local business. The sawmill is also of frame, two stories high, and is furnished with a rotary and upright saw. The total investment is between $10,000 and $15,000. The settlement is connected with Neillsville by telephone, erected in 1879 at a cost of $800. 1881 History The little village of Hemlock, on Black river, has two large mills, one flour mill and one lumber, shingle and lath mill. The waterpower, by which these mills are run, is unlimited here. There is a sufficient volume and fall to run any number of mills and factories. Hemlock is the northern terminus of the telephone line that extends south to La Crosse, and east to the towns on the Wisconsin Central line. It is the longest telephone line in this section of the country. 1890 History Hemlock hamlet consisted of a boardinghouse, a store and eight houses, including that of the Withee family. This hamlet bore the name of Hemlock, a name which was adapted from a stand of hemlock trees in the area, and which has continued in the name of a cheese factory located a mile or two to the east. The great flood of 1914 tore out the dam and left hardly a trace of the sawmill, or the gristmill. The end of the mills meant the end of industry at Hemlock. Theodore Withee was then involved. He had not the resources with which to tackle the restoration of the mills. The wind also struck, tearing down the cow barn and the Warner town hall, across the lane from the eastside of the Withee lawn. The townhall had been located in the old lush days, when Hemlock promised to become a real village. It had been a lively place, with preaching, dancing and Sunday school, in addition to the infrequent town meetings.
HENDRICKSON family, Warner township
1895 census, head of family: Mary (Marie) Hendrickson 1 male, 3 female
1905 Warner Census family #94 Turnquist, John Head W M 42 Widower Sweden Sweden Farm Laborer 9 Carl Son W M 4 S Wisconsin Sweden family #95 Hendrickson, Marie Head W F 34 Widow Norway Norway Farmer O F Annie Daughter W F 13 S Wisconsin Norway Oliver Son W M 11 S Wisconsin Norway
1893 sec 24 residence A. Hendrickson
1906 sec 24 residence Mrs. Hendrickson (John Turnquist also had property in sec 24)
HENDRICKSON, Marie Bertine nee Peterson (19 July 1867 - 16 July 1939)
Mrs. Marie Hendrickson, daughter of Ole and Ingeborg Peterson, was born at Tronhjem, Norway, July 19, 1867. She came to Greenwood in 1873 at the age of 6 years. She was united in marriage to Alexander Hendrickson on Oct. 24, 1884 and has resided on her farm in the Town of Warner since that date, and passed away there July 16, 1939. She is survived by three sons, Oliver (Henderson), Carl (Turnquist) and Arthur (Turnquist), two daughters, Mrs. Myrtle Anderson and Mrs. Ervin (Annie) Elmer, a sister, Mrs. Olive Hembre. Two brothers preceded her in death, Oliver, who died in infancy and Carl who died in 1931. Funeral services were conducted at the home and at the Trondhjem Lutheran Church. Burial was made in the Greenwood Cemetery. The pallbearers were Will Rossow, Olaf Johnson, John Johnson, David Danielson, Andrew Olson, Adolph (brother of John) Turnquist.
Note that the obit for Oliver Hendrickson lists Carl and Arthur Turnquist as half-brothers. Oliver's mother was Marie nee Peterson Hendrickson, listed as a widow on the 1905 census. Marie is buried as "Hendrickson" and no record was found of a marriage between Marie Peterson Hendrickson and John Turnquist who was listed as a widower on the same 1905 census. No further info was found on Alexander, brother of Victor Hendrickson.
See Turnquist for obit of John (20 May 1863 - 30 Dec 1908), Carl B. (12 Oct 1900 - 28 Sep 1974, m. Evelyn Olson 21 June 1933). No Obit for Arthur T. (28 July 1906 - 13 Sep 1986, m. Leona Olson 27 July 1932)
1947 Obit of Clinton Hembre: "...Six cousins, Carl and Arthur Turnquist, Olaf, Hoken and Ralph Ystad, and Arthur Hendrickson served as pallbearers..."
HENDRICKSON, Oliver J. (23 Dec 1885 - 3 Oct 1956)
Oliver J. Hendrickson, 70, lifetime resident of the Greenwood, area, died Oct. 3, 1956 at St. Joseph's Hospital, Marshfield, where he was admitted earlier that day after becoming ill suddenly at his home. He had been suffering from an asthmatic condition. Funeral services were held at Our Savior's Lutheran Church. Burial was in the Greenwood Cemetery. Mr. Hendrickson was born (parents Alexander and Marie Peterson Hendrickson) in the Town of Warner Dec. 23, 1885 and married Amy Pearson June 22, 1911 in the Town of Beaver. They farmed four miles northeast of there until three years ago when they retired and moved to Greenwood. Besides his wife (Amy 30 July 1892 - 26 Mar 1986), survivors are three children, Mrs. Donald (Doris) Dusso, Fox Lake; Arthur (Arthur A. 4 Dec 1914 - 22 Mar 1990, m. Mayvin Poppe 5-22-1943) and Harold, Greenwood and (sister) Mrs. Myrtle Anderson, Cadott two half-brothers, Carl and Arthur Turnquist, Greenwood. Two infant sons preceded him in death.
HENDRICKSON, Harold (6 Oct 1920 - 8 Aug 1990)
Harold Hendrickson, 69, Greenwood, died Aug. 8, 1990, at Neillsville Memorial Home. Funeral services were held at Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Greenwood. Burial was in the Greenwood Cemetery. Full military rites were held by the Greenwood American Legion.
Harold Hendrickson was born Oct. 6, 1920, (cemetery has born in 1922) in Greenwood, to Oliver and Amy (nee Pearson) Hendrickson. He received his education at Christopherson School. He served in the U.S. Army in World War II, from 1942-1945. He married Melva White April 19, 1947 in Loyal. He farmed in the town of Warner until 1971, when they moved to Greenwood. He had worked for 25 years at Roth Manufacturing, Loyal and Artcraft in Spencer. He was a member of the Greenwood Legion and Our Savior's Lutheran Church. Survivors include his wife and three daughters, Barbara Bowe, New Berlin; Mrs. Dennis (Charlotte) Colby, Greenwood and Tracy Hendrickson, Greenwood; one son, Dan Hendrickson, New Richmond and one sister, Mrs. Doris Dusso.
1895 census, head of family: Victor Hendrisckson 4 male, 6 female
1880 sec 26 no residence V. A. Hendrickson
1893 sec 26 residence V. Hendrickson
HENDRICKSON, Victor (14 June 1854 - ?)
Victor Hendrickson of section 26 Warner Township, was born near Christina, Finland, June 14, 1854, the son of John and Mary (Johnson) Hendrickson, both natives of Finland, and both deceased. They had eleven children, six of whom are now living: John J., Erick H., Victor, Alexander, Michael and Axel. Victor Hendrickson came to the United States in 1872, and the first summer was spent near Steven's Point, Wis, after which he came to this county, where he has since remained. He made his home first at Greenwood, and then settled on his present farm of eighty acres, forty-four acres of which he has since cleared. He has worked sixteen winters in the pineries, and in driving logs during the springs and summers. Mr. Hendrickson began with nothing, but by hard work and good management he has risen to his present position. He has a fine house, good barns, and all the other necessary out-buildings. He was married September 20, 1874, to Anna (Anne Helen 1848 - 23 Feb 1883) Johnson, daughter of Johannes (and Andria Simonsin) Johnson, of Eaton Township. Of their four children, three survive: John W., Maria and Julia (Marie Amelie, b. 27 Feb 1875 d. 29 April 1877). The mother died February 22, 1883, and the father was again married, August 15, 1883, to Ingabor Arntzon (Anderson) who was born in Tondhjem, Norway, December 25, 1864, the daughter of Arnt Christopherson, of Norway. By this union there were five children, three of whom survive: Alfred, Sophia and Viola. (Bertha, b. 1884, d. 4 May 1884; Viola b. 1888 d. 22 Aug 1889) Religiously Mr. Henrickson is a member of the Lutheran Church, socially, of the A.O.U.W., and politically is a Republican. Biographical History of Clark and Jackson Co1891
"...The first meat market in Greenwood was that of Huntzicker & Pfeiffer, in the building now occupied by A. D. Lyons" restaurant. Later Pfeiffer moved to the building now used by C. C. Hoehne as a storage place for machinery and hardware stock... After he left his place was taken by Victor Hendrickson. He and his family lived upstairs for a while and later built and lived in what is now the Catholic school building...The Norse Evangelical Lutheran church society was organized on August 21, 1872 with the following members: Ole Johnson, Elias Peterson, Victor Hendrickson, Ole Christensen, Ole Peterson, Peter Christopherson and Simon Johnson. The Rev. Alfson was the first minister to hold a service, which was held in a home... On September 20, 1875, a double wedding was celebrated in Elias Peterson's shoe shop. His daughter Carrie and Ole Johnson, Victor Hendrickson and Anna Johnson were married, Rev. Sampson coming from Black River Falls to perform the ceremony. Ole and Anna were brother and sister..." The Hub of Clark Co. 1853 - 1934
Sept 29, 1900: The family of A. A. Harmison have moved into the rooms over Paul Rossman's house. They are from Eau Claire and Mr. Harmison has charge of the meat market for Victor Hendrickson. Gleaner
HENDRICKSON, Victor marriage 13 Aug 1883
Married, at the residence of the groom, Aug. 13, 1883, by Rev. G. C. Andrews, Mr. Victor Hendrickson to Miss Ingebor Anderson, both of the Town of Warner, Clark Co.
HENDRICKSON, Viola marriage 14 July 1913
Henry Swiggum, formerly of this place, now residing at Greenwood, Clark Co, Wis., and Miss Viola Hendrickson, of this place were united in marriage at Madison July 14, 1913. They will reside on a farm at Greenwood, which the groom has recently purchased. (Blanchardville Blade)
HENDRICKSON, Ruby May nee Appleford (13 April 1890 - 28 Mar 1921)
The following was given us for publication. Mrs. Hendrickson was the wife of a former Greenwood boy, Alfred Hendrickson, who is well known here. Mrs. Alfred Hendrickson, after a long season of sickness covering a year or more, died in the White hospital in Lewiston Monday. The funeral was held in Asotin in the Merchant Undertaking Chapel, and the remains were placed at rest in the Asotin Cemetery. Mrs. Hendrickson, whose maiden name was Ruby May Appleford, was born in Craige, Wash. on April 13th, 1890 and would have been thirty years of age, had she lived on a few days longer. She was united in marriage to Alfred Hendrickson on July 11, 1914, and has since lived with her husband on their farm near Anatone, until one year ago when she contracted the influenza, from which she never entirely recovered, but developed into tuberculosis and other complications. During the past year she has submitted to several operations hoping to regain her health, but all were to no avail, and her condition became continually worse until passing away on March 28, 1921. Beside her husband, Mrs. Hendrickson leaves two little sons, Elvin, aged five and LeRoy, aged three, a mother, Mrs. Wm. Appleford, four sisters and five brothers.
Turnquist, Julia nee HENDRICKSON (19 Feb 1881 - 18 Sept 1965)
Mrs. Adolph Turnquist, 84, a lifelong resident of Greenwood, died Sept. 18, 1965, at the Memorial Hospital in Neillsville, where she had been a patient since Aug. 31. Funeral services were conducted at Our Savior's Lutheran Church, and burial will be made in the Greenwood Cemetery. The former Julia Hendrickson was born (parents Victor and Annie Hendrickson) Feb. 19, 1881, in the town of Warner. Her marriage to Adolph Turnquist, who preceded her in death July 28, 1950 (1960 per his obit), took place June 3, 1903, at Greenwood. After their marriage, they resided in the city of Greenwood for three years, and then moved to a farm south of Greenwood. In 1921, they moved to a farm northeast of Greenwood, where she had resided since. Mrs. Turnquist was a member of Our Savior's Lutheran Church and the American Lutheran Church Women. Survivors include four daughters, Mrs. E. H. (Helen) Axelson, Chicago; Mrs. Paul (Vera b. 15 Aug 1913, d. 18 Aug 2006) Tell, Palatine, Ill.; Mrs. Jerome (Ruth b. 2 Mar 1917, d. 28 Nov 1997) Bertz, Loyal and Mrs. John (Verdelle) Felix, Greenwood. (Adolph and Julia's child Adrian Turnquist d. 14 July 1904, no birth date) Four brothers, John Hendrickson, Clarkston, Wash.; Oxil Hendrickson, Osotin, Wash.; Donald Hendrickson, Lewiston, Idaho and Roy Hendrickson, state of California. Seven sisters, Mrs. Marie Wilcox, Cadott; Mrs. Sophia Davis, Boise, Idaho; Mrs. Viola Weisberger, Walla Walla, Wash.; Mrs. Fred (Ruth) Beier, Denver, Colo.; Mrs. Helen Campbell, Clarkston, Wash.; Mrs. Archie (Esther) Smith, Connell, Wash. and Miss Agnes Hendrickson, Lewiston, Idaho. She was preceded in death by a son, two brothers, and three sisters. Adolph Turnquist, 88, died July 28, 1960 at his home in rural Greenwood after a lingering illness. Funeral services at Our Savior's Lutheran Church, and burial in the Greenwood Cemetery. Mr. Turnquist was born June 13, 1872, in Torboda, Sweden. He came to this country in 1892 and settled in Chicago, Ill. Two years later he moved to Greenwood and after his marriage to Julia Hendrickson on June 3, 1903, he began farming in this area. He operated his farm 3 miles northeast of Greenwood for the past 48 years. The Turnquists celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1953. He served on the Christopherson School Board for many years and was a member of Our Savior's Lutheran Church. Surviving him are his widow and four daughters, Mrs. E.H. (Helen) Axelson, Chicago, Ill. Mrs. Paul (Vera) Tell, Palatine, Ill. Mrs. Jerome (Ruth) Bertz, Loyal and Mrs. John (Verdelle) Felix, Greenwood.
HENSHALL family, Warner township
1880 sec 10 hotel Geo. Henshall (Hemlock area, 1893 = S. Moore property)
July 1880: The Fourth of July, being on Sunday, was celebrated on the Fifth in Greenwood. The Americans, Germans and Norwegians, all having separate entertainments, each celebrated the day according to their own customs, as they have done in former days under their own fig trees. The evening brought a very large party together at the old Robinson hall. A grand time was had by all. The supper, gotten up by Henshall and his wife, was complete in all its expectation. All was full of life until daylight, when each one sought a place in which to catch a few hours of slumber. In an incredible short time the streets were as still as the yonder grave yard. The large flag strung across the street has been taken down for future use. However, the two flags, four feet by six feet, upon Brown's and Eaton's stores are to float on undisturbed. They shall remain until the glad news of Gen. Garfield's election to the presidency shall be heralded from the Atlantic shores to the Pacific slopes.
Jan 1881: Ole Melby, a Norwegian in T. J. LaFlesh's logging camp, had a two-inch square of his skull broken in by a falling tree. He was taken to Greenwood's Henshall's Hotel and Dr. Thomas was summoned. Melby's life was in danger, but with the skillful treatment of Dr. Thomas, he is reported as doing well and expected to fuller recover.
April 17, 1884: Geo. Henshall is remodeling his house and when it is completed he will serve up meals to the weary traveler in first-class style.
July 3, 1884: Geo. Henshall will have a bower completed by the 4th when the merry dancers can enjoy dancing in the pure, fresh air.
HENSHALL, Mark (1876 - 4 Nov 1884)
Died, in this village (Thorp), on the 4th of Nov. 1884, Mark, son of George and Mary T. Henshall, aged eight years. The remains were taken to Greenwood for interment.
Greenwood cemetery also contains the graves of Birdene "Birdie" Henshaw, b. 7 May 1868, d. 23 July 1876, daughter of George H. Henshaw. Birth records have an Arthur E. Henshaw b. 13 Feb 1898. No further info on "Henshaw". Think these two "Henshaw' might belong to the Henshall family. No census records found for Henshall or Henshaw.
1893 sec 6 no residence P. Heuck (1906 = A. Wessel)
No "Heuck" or "Hueck" found in CC records. Also tried "Huyck" but no "P" and the Huyck family who lived in the Humbird area.
HOFFMAN family, Warner township
1905 #103 Hoffman, August Head W M 54 M Germany Germany Farmer 12 O M F Louise Wife W F 54 M Germany Germany House Keeper Chas Son W M 20 S Wisconsin Germany Farm Laborer 9 Willie Son W M 17 S Michigan Germany Farm Laborer 12 Annie Daughter W F 14 S Michigan Germany Lucy Daughter W F 12 S Michigan Germany Herbert Son W M 10 S Michigan Germany
1906 sec 26 residence A. H. Hoffman
There are many Hoffman families, especially in the Dorchester area, but nothing was found on this particular Hoffman family
HOFFNER family, Warner township
1906 sec 26 residence C. Hoffner
Rev. Carlos Hoffner of St. Mary's church in Sterling?
HOGAN, J. J.
1893 sec 2- 4, 7-10, 13-14, 16-18, 21-24, 27- 28, 33 no residences J.J.H. (J.J. Hogan)
August 1886: A Saturday news special from La Crosse, on Aug. 7, says that a large Clark County land sale was completed on that date. All of the Black River lands which had belonged to the C. C. Washburn estate, amounting to about 23, 000 acres, were sold to J. J. Hogan. Most of the pine timber, the dispatch states, has been cut from these lands. But, there is a large amount of valuable hard wood and a great deal of the land will make good farms. It will seem strange to the Clark County people to have the name of C. C. Washburn stricken from their county map. However, J. J. Hogan will look well as the lands' new owner. (The name of Washburn didn't disappear from the Clark County map as predicted. One of the county's townships was named after C. C. Washburn and remains as such. D.Z.)
HOGUE family, Warner township
1885 CENSUS CIVIL WAR VETERANS & WIDOWS INDEX Hogue, C. P. Eaton
Villiage of Greenwood 1895 census: Hogue C. P. 4 male 5 female
1873 Warner sec 1 (1880 Geo L. Lloyd)
"The second town meeting was held at the Geo. Huntzicker home. On June 6,1871, William Welsch, with the assistance of Frank Brown, Charles Hogue, and Oscar Nutting surveyed and platted the village (of Greenwood). The nearest land office was then at Eau Claire. ...In 1873 Charles Hogue lived about six miles northeast of Greenwood on what was later known as the Lloyd farm..." The Hub of Clark County (1853 - 1934)
March 1931: Chas. Hogue, one of the few Civil War veterans living in Clark Co, passed away at his home in Greenwood last week. He was buried with military honors, the American Legion having charge of the ceremonies.
HOGUE, Charles Patterson (26 Feb 1844 - 24 Feb 1931)
Charles Patterson Hogue was born February 26, 1844. He enlisted with the unassigned 3rd Regiment of the Wisconsin Infantry on October 10, 1861 serving as a Corporal and was discharged July 18, 1865. He died February 24, 1931 and is buried in the Greenwood City Cemetery. His son, W. E. Hogue of Greenwood was listed as his next of kin on his grave registration.
HOGUE, Nellie Matilda nee Potter (4 April 1847 - 11 July 1930)
Nellie Matilda (Potter) Hogue was born in Union township, Rock Co, Wis, April 4, 1847, and passed away at her home in Portland, Oregon July 11, 1930. On April 20, 1868 she was united in marriage to Chas. P. Hogue at Sparta, Wis. To this union nine children were born, all who survive her. They are Harry E. (1869-1955, obit following) and William (1874-1949, obit following) Hogue of Greenwood, Wis., Mrs. Pearl Simerson of Medford, Wis., Mrs. Stella (b. 7 Sept 1906) O'Connor of Hayden Lake, Idaho, Ray E. (1878-1936, obit following) Hogue of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, Mrs. Nellie Buhite, Mrs. Ethel Tripp, Miss Dellamae Hogue and Oscar F. Hogue all of Portland, and an only brother, D. W. Potter of Spokane, Wash. The funeral was held from the funeral chapel of Edward Holman and Son, and she was laid to rest in Rose City cemetery. Greenwood Gleaner
"... In the early '80's there were at "our Rips" three channels in the river (near the Warner-Eaton township line on the Black River), forming two large and distinct islands, not the mere patches of ground they are now. In 1874, A. W. Bailey (Abner Woodman Bailey 1825-1900, father of Dorry Bailey) erected a sash and door factory on the west island which was run for a few years, when it was made into a grist mill owned and operated by Robert Schofield (1836-1924), and which had hammered-out teeth in stone to grind flour...Later, when Mr. Schofield settled on his farm (Eaton sec 3), he started to move these stones for use in building his barn, but changed his mind, and the stones may still be seen on William Hogue's land near the "Rips". A dam had been built to run these mills by means of a water wheel, but it was blown out in 1882..." The Hub of Clark County (1853 - 1934)
"... about eighteen miles north of Neillsville, on the west bank of Black River, later called "Eaton Town", and now known as the "Rips"... Sometimes one of the head logs in the bottom would run into something which would stop it, then it would stop others, and unless the men could get it loosened a jam was soon formed; then they have to get down ahead of the jam and the "key log", as it was called, before they loosen the jam, and if any of the men were caught in this rush of logs when loosened, well, his drive was ended. Some of the rnen would stay on logs when going over a rapids and "shoot the rapids" while others would go on the bank until were past them. While "shooting the rapids" at the "Rips" in a boat, Charles Hogue (who was at time considered the best boatman on the river) was upset into it. He was under so long the men said: "Well, I guess Charley is gone this time", but he finally came up quite a ways down the river under the boat but managed to get out and reach shore safely..." The Hub of Clark County (1853 - 1934)
HOGUE, Harry & Margaret Golden Anniversary 8 April 1946
Sunday Mr. and Mrs. Harry Hogue, of Greenwood, celebrated their golden wedding anniversary, which took place Monday, April 8, 1946, at their home... Mrs. Hogue, nee Margaret Fahey, daughter of Bridget and Jack Fahey, and Harry Hogue, son of Mathilda and Charles Hogue, repeated their marriage vows at Marshfield, April 8, 1896, eight years after Miss Fahey came to Greenwood from Canada with her mother, brothers and sisters. After their marriage the couple operated a restaurant in Greenwood for seven years. Mr. Hogue is a carpenter by trade. Three children were born to this union: Mrs. Ralph (Eva) Weidman of Withee, who died June 14, 1945; Mrs. Arthur Zahren, Chicago, who died May 2, 1945; and Mrs. Al (Adine) Penrose, Coloma, Mich. One grandson, Robert Zahren, is now serving in the Pacific Theater of Operations..."
Eva Hogue, 1916.
HOGUE, Harry E. (21 Feb 1869 - 7 June 1955)
An 86-year-old Greenwood resident, Harry E. Hogue, died at the Havernet Nursing Home at Owen, where he had been a patient the past two months. Funeral services were held at St. Mary's Catholic Church. Burial took place in the parish cemetery. Born Feb. 21, 1869 in Sparta, Mr. Hogue came to Greenwood as a young child with his parents. He worked in the woods for some time and later as a carpenter. His marriage to Maggie Fahey took place here April 6, 1896. The couple celebrated their golden wedding nine years ago. Mr. Hogue is survived by his wife (Margaret nee Fahey Hogue 3 Oct 1870 - 6 Jan 1959), a daughter, Mrs. Al (Adine) Penrose, Coloma, Mich.; a brother, Oscar Fahey (s/b Hogue), Portland, Ore.; five sisters, Mrs. John (Nellie) Buhite, Mrs. Ethel Trip and Miss Della Mae Fahey, all of Portland, Ore., Mrs. Owen (Stella) O'Connor, Rathdrum, Idaho, and Mrs. Carl Simarson, Chicago. Two daughters and two brothers preceded him in death.
December 7, 1900: Mrs. Harry Hogue is staying at Mrs. Fahey's this winter. Greenwood Gleaner
October 4, 1934: Mr. and Mrs. Harry Hogue and Mrs. Mathilda Fahey visited at the Jack Fahey home at Stanley Monday Evening. Greenwood, WI Locals
"...In 1870 Williani H. Begley secured the contract for carrying the mail from Black River Falls, and hired Jesse Crane as his first driver. In 1872 Henry Marhar was hired for this position. In 1884, William Cornick secured the contract to carry the mail between Neillsville and Withee. Mr. Cornick then hired H. H. Hartson to drive the stage between Neillsville and Greenwood and Harry E. Hogue, who was then a lad of fifteen years, to carry mail between Greenwood and Withee. He made these trips on horseback... Mail was delivered each day except Sunday..." The Hub of Clark County (1853 - 1934)
HOGUE, William E. (17 Feb 1874 - 12 April 1949)
William E. Hogue, 75, died Apr. 12, 1949 at his home at Greenwood, after a 6 year illness following a stroke. Funeral rites were conducted by the Methodist Church at the Stabnow Funeral Home. Interment will take place at Greenwood. Mr. Hogue, son of the late Charles and Mathilda Hogue, was born in Greenwood Feb. 17, 1874, and was married there July 3, 1899, to Ingebor Peterson. He spent his early years in the woods and lumber camps and later served as a marshal for the City of Greenwood for 20 years. He resigned that position to go into dairy farming and to operate a milk route. In 1942 he resigned when he became ill. Surviving besides his widow are two sons, Bernard, Cudahy, and Clarence, Merrillan; three granddaughters, Kathleen, Carol, and Sharon Hogue, Cudahy; two brothers, Harry, Greenwood, and Oscar, Portland, Ore., and five sisters, Mrs. Owen (Stella) O'Connor, Rathdrum, Idaho; Mrs. Nellie Buhite, Mrs. Ethel Tripp, and Miss Della Mae Hogue, all of Portland, Ore. and Mrs. Pearl Simerson, Chicago. Another brother, Ray of Idaho, preceded him in death.
HOGUE, Ingebor E. nee Peterson (13 May 1876 - 8 April 1969)
Funeral services were held at at the Grace United Methodist Church for a former resident of Greenwood, Mrs. Ingebor E. Hogue, 92, of Walnut Creek, Calif., who died at a hospital there April 8, 1969, after suffering a stroke a few days before. Burial was made in the Greenwood Cemetery. The former Ingebor Peterson was born (dau of Elias Peterson) May 13, 1876 in Greenwood and was married there July 3, 1899 to William E. Hogue, who preceded her in death April 12, 1949. The couple operated the dairy that is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Severson. Mrs. Hogue lived in Greenwood most of her life until the death of her husband, when she went to live at Cudahy with a son, Bernard, and family. In December of 1965 she moved with the family to Walnut Creek, Calif., and had lived there since. Survivors include two sons, Bernard (18 Dec 1899 - 22 July 1975, m. 15 Feb 1923 to Louise Kaiser, dau of Adam and Rose Kaiser), Walnut Creek, Calif., and Clarence (10 Aug 1902 - 5 Sept 1973, m. 23 Nov 1927 to Helen C. Ehlers, dau of Joh and Mary Ehlers), Marion, Wis. In addition to her husband she was preceded in death by a brother and a sister.
March 1, 1901: We acknowledge a pleasant ride Wednesday after John Memhard's driving horse. We must confess, however, that we feared two fears: one was that we might have to dig ourselves out of some snow pile from turning corners too quickly, and the other was that Marshal Hogue (William Hogue) might get hold of us and run us in for fast driving in city limits. The horse is a flyer. Gleaner
HOGUE, Ray Everett (c1878 - 15 May 1936)
Following a two years illness, Ray E. Hogue, (son of Charles and Matilda nee Potter Hogue) 58, died May 15, 1936 at a local hospital. He had resided here for 33 years and for several years was telephone linesman for the forestry service. Surviving him are his widow, Jessie, a son Harvey of this city five sisters and three brothers: Mrs. Owen O'Connor of Edmere Beach, Hayden Lake; Mrs. Nellie Buhite, Mrs. Ethel Tripp, Miss Delia Hogue and Oscar Hogue of Medford, Wis., Harry and Will Hogue of Greenwood, Wis. Funeral services were held from the Mooney chapel. Interment was in Forest cemetery. The Coeur d'Alene Press, Coeurd'Alene, Idaho
HOGUE, Pearl marriage - 2 March 1895
Wm. Simerson of the village of Thorp and Miss Pearl Hogue (dau of Charles P. and Matilda nee Potter Hogue) of the city of Greenwood, came to this city on last Saturday and called in the services of the County Judge E. C. Pors, to make them one. Judge Pors responded promptly, and although this was a little out of the regular order, it is said that he performed the ceremony most gracefully. The nuptial knot was tied at the Thomas House. (Marshfield News)
March 8, 1906: Nellie Hogue was a Loyal visitor from Friday to Sunday, Addie Bishop and Henry Smith bringing her over Sunday afternoon. Mrs. Matilda Hogue went to Medford Saturday to take care of her daughter, Mrs. (Pearl nee Hogue) William Simerson, who is suffering from an attack of neuralgia of the heart. Greenwood Gleaner
April 3, 1905 Hemlock: School began Wednesday morning with Miss Estella Hogue as teacher.
December 27, 1906: Estella Hogue returned home Saturday morning from Radisson, where she is teaching, to spend the holidays with her mother and sisters. She was accompanied by her cousin, Miss Leona Hogue of Round Lake, who is also a teacher and engaged in her home school. Greenwood Gleaner
HOGUE, Oscar (c1870 - ?)
Oscar, son of Charles P. and Matilda nee Potter Hogue, married Minne Pratt on 9 May 1893. Oscar was living in Portland, OR per mother's 1930 obit; Medford (OR?) per brother Ray's 1936 obit; Portland, OR per brother William's 1949 obit and brother Harry's 1955 obit. Minne nee Pratt Hogue next married Mike Kobaskie (1880-1926) on 19 Sept 1919. (Oscar and Minne apparently were divorced.) Two of Oscar and Minne nee Pratt Hogue's children were Oda Faye and Unita B. Hogue.
HOGUE, Oda Faye (2 July 1899 - 27 Jan 1915)
Oda Faye Hogue was born (to Oscar and Minne nee Pratt Hogue) in Greenwood, July 2, 1899, and died in the hospital at Marshfield, January 27, 1915. She was taken to the hospital January 21, suffering with what seemed to be blood poison in her face. The disease did not prove to be blood poison, and during the six days that she was in the hospital, was a puzzle to both doctors and nurses. The funeral was held from the Methodist church. The freshman class of the High School of which she was member, attended in a body, and the large flag at the school was kept at half-mast during the service. She is survived by her four grandparents, her parents, two sisters, two brothers.
HOGUE, Unita B. marriage 26 Oct 1921
Oct. 26, 1921, at the Free Methodist Parsonage, Mr. Guy T. Pierce /(1892-1942) of the town of Mentor, Clark Co and Miss Unita B. Hogue /(1903-1986, dau of Oscar Hogue) of Greenwood, were united in marriage. The groom is a well known farmer residing near Humbird, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Dan Pierce. The bride is a daughter of Mrs. M. J. Koboskie /(formally Minne nee Pratt, wife of Oscar Hogue) now residing near Cushing. The young couple expects to make their home on the farm of Mr. Pierce's father. / (Guy and Unita nee Hogue Pierce both buried in Mentor cemetery)
**This Clark Co., WI Internet Library, ALHN & AHGP website is dedicated to the free sharing of information by researchers, local historians, genealogists and educators. Because of our non-profit status, submissions are not to be used for profiteering of any kind. Our representatives cannot accept gratuities beyond the basic expenses (i.e. postage, copying, courthouse or rental fees) for obtaining requested information. We reserve the right to ban the involvement of anyone who intentionally disregards these policies. Please show your appreciation for this database by Becoming a Clark County History Buff or making a contribution to our Support Fund and Perpetual Preservation Account to help keep this Clark Co., WI database freely available on the World Wide Web and free from commercial enterprise.
*** This copyrighted Clark Co., Wis. genealogy and history material is used by permission of the submitters. Contact us if anyone is using this data inappropriately. It may not be copied and posted to any commercial/.com genealogy sites such as Genealogy Trails, Family Tree Maker or the merged companies Ancestry.Com/RootsWeb/MyFamily or sold for profit.
This page is a part of the Clark County, WI Internet Library Project
Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
~~The Clark Co., Wisconsin History Buffs maintain these pages in support of Free On-line History & Genealogy~~