Contact: Helen Vater Blaha
----Sources: Notes gleaned from three old record books for West Beaver Church
The warranty deed of the property on which the West Beaver Church is located was dated November 9, 1912. Moses L. Harding, grantor of Greenwood, Clark Co., Wisconsin deeded the land to the American Sunday School Union, a corporation of Pennsylvania, for the sum of $40.
The land is described as commencing at the NE corner of the NE quarter of the SW quarter of Section Seven (7) in Township 27 N Range 1 West, thence south 12 rods, thence west 8 rods, thence north 12 rods, thence east 8 rods to place of beginning.
Officers of the Sunday School in 1925 were Charles Markee, Annie Arp, Etta Markee, and Anna Stabnow. Members of the Primary class taught by Mrs. Arp were Leora Arp, Ethel Arp, Clara Stowe, Harold Stowe, Leland Thwing, Rhoda Thwing (?), Archie Thwing (?), Dorothy M. (?), Donald Acker, Gretchen Acker. Class No. 2 was taught by Mrs. Markee and included Clarence Markee, Leland Merrill, Melvin Thwing, Dorothy Boehning, Marcella Boehning. Class No. 3, taught by Mr. Stabnow, included Nina Markee, Lawrence M., Charles Arp, and Elsie Beckon. Class No. 4, taught by Miss Randall, included Etta Markee, Violet Merrill, Bessie Stabnow and Anna Stabnow. Class No. 5 was taught by Mrs. Stabnow and included Mr. Markee, Mr. Thwing, Mrs. Hewey, Mr. Hewey, Mrs. Ward, Mrs. Welsh, Mrs. Stowe, Mrs. Acker, and Mrs. Schovel.
On Sunday, Feb. 1, 1925 nineteen people attended the service and the amount of the offering was 54 cents. On Sunday March 1, 1925 thirty-two people attended and the offering was $1.23. Some of those preaching that year included Rev. Kanaak, Rev. Cranball, Miss Townsend of Ladysmith, Mr. Andregg of Veefkind, Rev. Snidder, Rev. A. J. Borchardt of Edgar, Wisconsin.
The church paid its first light bill on July 12, 1949. The bill was for $12.00.
In the 1950's some of those who preached at the West Beaver Church included Rev. William Summers, Rev. Roger Adams, Rev. Paul Nelson, Rev. Miller, Rev. Ralph Schram, Rev. Oscar Hovland, Rev. C. Longnecker, Rev. Chapman, Rev. Fox
1961 Basement built; September 1963, Shingled church; 1964-1965, sided the church; September 1965, Vern, Vaner, and Peter built bell tower; June 1966,Jim Englebretson painted second coat on church
Those who preached at the church in the 1970's included Rev. Lavern R. Luttig, of Loyal; Rev. Dan Venzke, Rev. Frank Mutchler, Charles Bush, Ken Palmer, Dennis Thomas, Rev. Roger Cleeton, Dean Nelson, Ralph Schram, Rev. Harold Palmer, Peter Lindgren, Tom Harwell, Rev. Maurice Tysen, Rev. C. Peters
The church closed October 12, 1980.
Please submit any additions or corrections.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs