Emery & Mary Philomene (Bachamp/Beauchamp) Bruley


Adapted from a book compiled by Joan R.Knox

Original copies are available at several libraries, including Greenwood & Neillsville, WI and Ft. Wayne, Allen Co., IN, and Salt Lake City, UT



Emery Bruley was a logger, blacksmith, merchant and inventor who resided in Neillsville, WI.  The picture above came from a family collection owned by the Benware and Barton family. The notation on the bottom places it in Neillsville, WI, having been the work of Kirkland Photos. The photographer could well have been Charles B. Kirkland who died in 1882 and is buried in the Neillsville City Cemetery which would place the time frame of the picture previous to that. If you have any information which could lead to a greater knowledge of this individual, please contact Barbara Benware Burt .


EMERY BRULEY, merchant, Neillsville, born in Ottawa City, Canada, July 4, 1845, in 1868, went to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and afterwards to La Crosse, Wisconsin where he met Mr. Stafford and came up with him to Staffordsville.  September 17, 1863, Emery married Miss Philomena Beauchamp, a native of Ottawa City, Canada.  In 1865, they came to Neillsville and started a blacksmith shop, which he ran for nine years, then opened a clothing store, and carried a stock worth $9,000 and did a business of $25,600 a year.  


The Bruleys built a prestigious home in 1885 which is today a Bed and Breakfast in Neillsville and is known as the "Tuft's Mansion".  To this day, the structure is beautified by the original plate glass windows purchased for it by Emery and Mary.  They are fashioned from a brilliant cut-glass with a "B" for "Bruley" etched in them.  The Bruleys only owned the mansion for one year before exchanging it for the home of Richard Dewhurst.


Mrs. Bruley was born May 15th, 1845 and died April 24, 1885.  Emery died Feb. 20, 1928 and they are both buried in the St. Mary's Cemetery, Neillsville, Clark Co., Wisconsin.


Emery belonged to the A. O. U. W.




In 1885, Emery Bruley built the original Tufts’ House, having built the north half of this home and then sold it to the Dewhurst family.  Wallace L Hemple married the Dewhurst’s daughter, Mary.  After the marriage, the Dewhursts and the Hemples lived in the house together.  In 1886, the Bruley family exchanged houses with the Richard Dewhurst family.  Mr. and Mrs. Hemple are credited with enlarging and adding many improvements to the home-including the front porch and port-cochere.  It was during this time the house took on a Victorian appearance.  The house as it stands today reflects the changes of that period as well as the personalities of each succeeding generation of owners.


At Mr. Dewhurst’s death in 1895, his daughter Mary and her husband, Wallace Hemphill, became the new owners.  Reportedly, Marshall Fields did the interior decorating for their daughter’s wedding in 1916.  Mr. Hemple was employed by the John Paul Lumber Company.  Mrs. Hemple invested money in the former Neillsville Bank after the stock market crash of 1929 which allowed it to reopen.  In 1927, the Hemples donated the band stand that still can be seen in Schuster Park.


Mr. and Mrs. Robert Stoll then owned the house until 1961 when it was purchased by Colonel and Mrs. William B. Tufts, this being several years after the death of Mr. Hemple.  William and Jenny Tufts did extensive remodeling in the home.  Upon Jenny Tufts’ death in 1982, the home was willed to the city to be maintained as a museum for all to enjoy.  


In 1996, the home was purchased by Joseph and Stacie Boe.  Some changes and restoration have been made in the house.  The home is open for tours.  A small admission fee is charged.  Call (715) 743-3346 for information. 




  Genealogy of Emery Brule'


  • Obit: Bruley, Edward E. (1853 - 1902)

  • Obit: Bruley, Joseph (1834? - 1918)

  • Obit: Bruley, Mary Philomene Bachamp (1845 - 1885)

  • Obit: Bruley, Rosa (1876 - 1917)

  • Obit: Bruley, Tom (1869 -1934)

  • Cemetery Record

  • Contributors

     Barbara Benware Burt, Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon



    © Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


    Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


    Become a Clark County History Buff


    Report Broken Links

    A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
    and supported by your generous donations.


    Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

    Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

    Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel