Obit: Wagner, Arthur C. (1884 - 1974)
Contact: Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon
Surnames: Wagner, Bow, Bleskachek,
----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 4/04/1974
Wagner, Arthur C. (12 May 1884 - May1974)
Funeral services were held in Eau Claire Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. for Arthur C. Wagner, 89, former Neillsville restaurateur who died at his home in Eau Claire of complications brought on by old age.
Born May 12, 1884, in New Holstein, Mr. Wagner and his family came to Neillsville from Edgar to open a restaurant during the 1930s. For several years they owned and operated a restaurant and tavern in the location of the present First Federal Savings and Loan office.
Shortly after World War II, their oldest son, Chester, purchased a bar and bowling alley in Tomah, and the family soon afterward sold their restaurant interests here and moved to Tomah. There Mr. Wagner operated an automobile agency, and other members of the family operated a variety of businesses.
They later disposed of interests in Tomah and built the Wagner Lanes in Eau Claire, which since has become known widely as “Wagner’s 40½ Lanes.” All members of the family still are connected with the bowling enterprise except a daughter, Mrs. George (Betty) Bleskachek, who now lives in Menomonie.
In addition to Mrs. Bleskachek, the family consists of: Chester, Kenneth (Budge), and Arthur Robert (Stir). The latter recently retired as a lieutenant colonel in the Wisconsin National Guard.
Mrs. Wagner, the former Clare Bow of Edgar, also survives, as do 18 grandchildren and a number of great-grandchildren.
While in Neillsville, Mr. Wagner was instrumental in the organizing of the Neillsville Rotary Club and became a charter member and the club’s first president. He also was a past-president of the Wisconsin Restaurant Association, and was a member of the Moose Lodge in Neillsville.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs