Obit: Wilson, Ella L. (? – 1959)
Surnames: Wilson, Justice, Jones
----Source: Greenwood Gleaner (Greenwood, Clark Co., Wis.) 21 Jan 1960
Wilson, Ella L. (? – 10 DEC 1959)
Mrs. Ella L. Wilson, long time and beloved citizens of the community, was taken in death following a short illness, December 10, 1959. Cause of death was a heart condition.
Mrs. Wilson was born at Merrill, Wisconsin and came west to Clarkston at the turn of the century with her parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. David Justice, from Greenwood (Clark Co.), Wisconsin, and in 1898 the family purchased an acreage in Vineland. Mr. Justice had come ahead of his family and had a home awaiting them when they arrived. They came in on the second train ever to come into Lewiston.
Mrs. Wilson attended the first brick schoolhouse at Thirteenth and Chestnut, and later taught in the primary grades.
She was married to Guy L. Wilson, December 12, 1901, and two daughters were born to them, Maybelle, who passed away in 1924, and Mrs. Kathryn Jones, now living at Portland. Mrs. Jones had been here with her mother during her illness. Mr. Wilson was a long time employee of the Washington Water Power Company, successor to the Pacific Power and Light Company. He passed away in 1948.
For many years the Wilsons owned and operated 31 acres on Third Ave. West in Clarkston Heights, but inn recent years she made her home at 1224 4th Street.
Among her many activities was service to the Republican party, serving as vice-president of the Republican Women's Club and was a former state committee woman, and was credited with being the first president of the Asotin County President's council. In 1930-31 she was president of the YWCA, and was among those instrumental in putting the organization on its feet, and developing into the association that it is now.
Mrs. Wilson was president of the Sacajawea Club twice; former vice-president of the Southeastern District of Federated Clubs; Worth Matron of the Vineland Chapter of Easter Star, of which she was a 50 year member; Noble Grand of the Rebekah Lodge; president of the AS chapter of the PEO.
She was a charter member of the Pioneer Association and served three terms as president; a member of the Rotary Anns; The Lewiston-Clarkston Community Chest; Neighbors of Woodcraft; organist at both the Episcopal and Methodist Churches, and was a member of the Presbyterian Church.
She was past president of the PTA and helped get the Carnegie Library started. She also served on election boards.
Funeral services were held at Merchants Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m., with Rev. Chamness officiating. Burial was in Vineland Cemetery.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs