News: Greenwood (Opera House Torn Down – 1959)
Surnames: Hiles, Speich, Gasparac
----Source: Greenwood Gleaner (Greenwood, Clark Co., Wis.) 04 Feb 1960
One of the oldest landmarks still in the city of Greenwood (Clark Co., Wis.) will soon be gone from our midst. Shown above is the first movie theatre to our fair city. This building holds many fond memories for many older, and some not so old, people who have called Greenwood home.
Many will remember the traveling medicine shows, Frisco Follies, home talent and other shows, that were put on in the Opera House. Silent movies were shown and perhaps one of the biggest days in our memory was the day Otto Hiles, former theatre operator, installed the first sound machine. For years Mr. Hiles ran shows, and held dances in this old hall, and many happy hours were spent in this building.
In later years the building has been used as a bar and meeting place for the American Legion and its Auxiliary. Recently the Legion moved to the George Speich building on Main Street, and Jack Gasparac was given the building to tear down. And so ends the life of another landmark in our dear City. Perhaps none holds the happy memories as this one does.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs