Levis Township Businesses

Clark County, Wisconsin




Day Creamery; History

Day Tavern; Bar Room, Owners & Gas Pump (Photos); History



Dells Dam Butter and Cheese Co. in Levis section 17


Victor Horton, original proprietor. The photo shows it as it later was remodeled into a blacksmith shop with living quarters upstairs. It was then known as Hagie’s Blacksmith Shop and also the Stone Garage, owned and operated by Floyd Hagie and son Donald.  The wood roof was added to this cheese factory after the original construction in 1930 ca.


Dells Dam Cheese Factory



Levis Cheese Factory


The Levis Cheese Factory was owned by Charles and Elizabeth (Neubecker) Schroeder who are pictured above in the doorway of the loading dock.


Levis Cheese Factory News Clips


Price of fancy cream cheese: 14¢ a lb., 4 lbs. 50¢ Rep. & Press, 30 Apr., 1885.


The first shipment of cheese from the Levis Cheese Factory was made this week; the whey at the factory is in great demand as some parties have fallen in love with it. 24 May 1897.


The Levis Cheese Factory is receiving 1900 lbs. of milk daily.  The cheese maker in the Levis Cheese Factory is like the editor--wants wood.


At a meeting of stockholders of Levis Cheese Association last Saturday evening the following officers were elected; Treasurer--C. L. Hutchings, Vice Pres.--A. F. Wesenberg, Sec.--J. W. Short, Traas.--J. W. McAdams, Directors--P. Marsh, Aaron Oldham and H. Blum.  20 Jan 1897.


Mr. Eggiman shipped 50 boxes of cheese from the Levis Factory last week.  20 Jan. 1897.


Gregory and Hanold had sold their fine creamery in Levis to Mr. Austreng, a stranger as yet to people of this locality, who will come here from southern Wisconsin about April 12, and open and run the creamery, succeeding Mr. Gregory in the active management of the establishment.  5 March 1901.


Ice was stored in the creamery the past week, December 26, 1901.  The Levis Creamery Association will hold the annual meeting Jan. 13, 1902 at 7 p. m. at Mrs. Halvorson's old house--W. B. Riley, Sec.  28 Feb 1901.


In 1900, the state dairy and food commission credited Levis Township with one cheese factory and 2 creameries.


Riverside Pavilion was one of the favorite dance halls of the twenties and early thirties.It was located in the vicinity of the Opelt gravel pit (west side of the river) and was built by Frank Luck on the site of his parental home farm. It was operated by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Luck with the help of his sister and brother-in-law Mr. and Mrs. Warren Hoke for most of the years. At various times it was leased to someone else for the season—the last being Al and Thelma Mashin—in the year of 1938. It was at this time that the Lynch Bridge was washed out with the flood of 1938.


Return to Levis Twp. Main Page






© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel