Trinity Lutheran Church
Loyal, Clark County, Wisconsin
Transcribed by Stan Schwarze
Asearly as 1874 the Lutherans of this vicinity held services in their homes under the leadership of Pastor John Witte, pastor of Zion Lutheran, in Granton.
On March 22, 1883, Evangelical Trinity Congregation was organized by Pastor A. Fischer, Granton, with thirteen charter members. The following church officers were elected: Wm. Luchterhand, John Lindner and Karl Klahn, Ernst Schwan, August Bredlau, and Carl Rossow.
A tract of land was purchased one and one fourth miles north of Loyal for $100, on which a two-story log church was erected and dedicated on Nov. 18, 1883. The cemetery is the only remaining landmark.
On Dec. 20, 1883, Rev. J. Meissner came as the first resident pastor to a membership of sixteen families. He was followed by Rev. Goesling in 1885, and Student Ganschow in 1886. Pastor Ganschow wrote to Pastor John Langholz in 1939 stating, "I was sent to Loyal to instruct the children in school, especially religion, for three or four months and preach on Sundays. The older boys came to school with guns to protect the smaller children against the wild animals of the great forest."
The first Trinity Lutheran Church in the Village.
Pastor Haase served the congregation in 1889, followed by Pastor Wm. Ruel, in 1890.
A new church, 32' x 60' was built next in Loyal and dedicated on July 23, 1893. A horse shed was built next to it.
Pastor Reul organized the first Ladies' Aid Society in 1903. That year the congregation called Pastor Wm. Lange, and purchased the present parsonage. On this lot a horse barn was built in 1907.
Pastor Emil Kemena replaced Pastor Lange in 1910.
The German language, which was used exclusively in the worship service until 1913, was discontinued in the early 1950's.
Lightning badly damaged the church in 1913, and a new church, seating 500 people, was erected. It was dedicated on June 7, 1914.
Pastor C Pohlmann was called in 1922, and organized the first young people's society. Pastor H. Leschensky came in 1928, followed by John Langholz in 1937.
Pastor E. Aalto was called in 1951 and during his stay plans were made for the present educational unit. Pastor Pfohl, who came in 1955, dedicated this new building June 30, 1957.
Trinity Lutheran Church.
Pastor Pfohl passed away in Nov. 1959, and Pastor Virgil Ganz filled the vacancy. When Pastor Ganz enlisted in the service as a chaplain, the congregation called Pastor A. Moldenhauer. Her served until 1968 when Pastor Wm. Humlie, present pastor, was installed.
Membership includes 506 communicant and 720 baptized members. Trinity congregation has experienced many blessing though Jesus Christ our Savior.
Free Methodist Church
The Free Methodist church of Loyal is the culmination of many, perhaps the first of whom was Rev. Thomas Ladue, who held tent meetings at the settlement of Augusta shortly after the Civil War. When Rev. La Due moved on to Hudson, Wis., Rev. Howe in 1882 organized a Free Methodist Society at Humbird. His successor, Rev. J. A. Bolton, continued this charge and during his pastorate a new Society was organized in 1893 at the home of his brother, Sam Bolton, a devout farmer living in the Township of York.
A church building in York Center was in use by the Free Methodist Congregation during the first part of the 20th century. However, as some members moved away and death took others, it appeared that a consolidation of the Free Methodists from York, Spokeville and Loyal was the most reasonable path to follow.
In 1928 Rev. F. G. Wyrick was appointed to York Center and Loyal. On Oct. 9, 1928, a group of people met at the farm home of Mr. and Mrs. J. K. Rowley, a mile south of Loyal. Rev. Wyrick presided, conducted devotions and read the general rules. Out of this meeting came a reorganization of area Free Methodists.
The following names constituted the charter membership: Mr. J. K. Rowley, Mrs. Annie Rowley, Mr. Ira Clouse, Mrs. Jennie Clouse, Mrs. Eliza Thomson, Mr. R. M. Pratt, C. F. Schaeffner, Mrs. Isabel Smith, Mrs. Charles Markee, Miss Virginia Johnson, Mrs. F.G. Wyrick, trnsferred by letter, Probationers: Mr. Charles Hewey and Mrs. Christian Hewey.
The following board members were elected: Sunday School superintendent, Ira Clouse; Stewards, R. M. Pratt, J. K. Rowley, Jennie Clouse; trustees, R. M. Pratt, J. K. Rowley, Ira Clouse; class leader, C. F. Schaeffner; treasurer, Annie Rowley; committee on church location and building, F. G. Wyrick, J. K. Rowley, and Ira Clouse.
By the time of the annual Circuit and Society meeting less than a year later, the treasurer reported $120 received and "sidewalk put in (all paid for), lumber from old church is on the lots." The treasurer reported $208.87 raised for pastor's salary. On Oct. 26, 1929, the first official board meeting was held in the New Free Methodist Church in Loyal.
The church built in 1928 did not have the central position desired, so in 1942 Ralph Dietzman was appointed with the understanding that the church would be moved to its present location. This was accomplished early that year.
The Veefkind Community church closed its doors in 1967, and many of the members united with the Loyal Free Methodist Church. This union, under the direction of Rev. Paul Miller, brought about a remodeling project, with a new entrance, pastor's study, kitchen, and an enlarged auditorium.
The following pastors have served the Loyal Free Methodist congregation since 1928: F. G. Wyrick, 1928; C. F. Olson, 1929 - 1932; Mrs. Hazel B. Galbraith, 1933 - 1936; Walter Fensome, 1937 - 1940; W. J. Eberly, 1941; Ralph Dietzman, 1942 - 1944; D. G. Rumppe, 1945 - 1946; Robert Jones, 1947 - 1948; Robert Osborne, 1949; L. L. Gillette, 1950 - 1951; LeRoy Schantz, 1952 - 1953; J. R. Putt, 1954 - 1956; C. E. Eslick, 1957 - 1958; Allen Crandall, 1959 - 1963; Paul Miller, 1964 - Present.
The Seventh Day Adventist Church was organized early in the history of Loyal. The frame church was built and brick veneered by 1897.
As membership declined, the building was used for public school and has been used as a garage and shop. It is presently owned by Tony Shober.
A Baptist Society met at the Town Hall for a time, but no organized congregation or permanent structure came of it.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs