The New Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church

308 W Linden St, Abbotsford, Mayville, Clark Co., Wisconsin

History of its Congregation and a brief sketch of the handsome and commodious $10,000 Brick Veneer structure.

The history of the congregation extends back to 1915, when the Lutherans in and around Abbotsford called Rev. Janssen of Milan to help organize a congregation and serve them as their pastor.

The congregation however, was organized by Rev. Moecker and Janssen and the latter became the first pastor.

Services were first held in the Episcopal Church, and later on the congregation purchased this building for its place of worship.

Pastor Janssen served the congregation until 1918. The Rev. K. Daib then took charge of the work and after about a year’s stay was succeeded by Rev. Ziehlsdorf, who served the congregation faithfully until last January, when the present pastor, Rev. V. M. Keiper, was called to succeed him.

Reverend V. M. Keiper

During the 10 years of its existence the congregation has grown from six to thirty-one voting members, i.e. male members of legal age who have signed the church constitution, and who, without an exception are heads of families; about 90 communicants and 250 souls.

Last February the old church building was totally destroyed by fire, and now a handsome and commodious brick veneer structure has been erected at a cost of about $10,000.

The laying of the corner stone occurred April 26th amid great festivities and on Aug. 16th, occurred an event which is always an occasion of much interest in religious circles, the dedication of the new church.

It is usually an event which happens but once in a lifetime of a congregation and was celebrated with great rejoicing. Rev. Ziehlsdorf of Spencer delivered a very interesting sermon in the German language and Rev. Daib, President of the North Wisconsin District, spoke in the English, stressing the old Bible truth, never to be ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and never to cease erecting buildings where this Gospel might be proclaimed.

The style of architecture chosen for the new church is colonial. Its length being 61 feet, breadth 29 feet, height of walls 12 feet and a steeple, including the belfry, 20 feet.

The church has a seating capacity of about 250. Its floor is of hardwood and the main aisle will be covered with a heavy rubber mat. The walls have the plaster finish, and the ceiling of wainscoting pained in blue. The wood work is of yellow pine with a stained finish. The windows are of frosted glass, and the one over the entrance bears the name of the congregation ‘Christ Ev. Luth. Church.” Electric fixtures have been ordered and will be installed shortly.

Thanks to God who has made the hearts of this congregation willing, and has given His blessing so that his building could be erected to His Glory. May He in he future also be with the congregation and bless the work it is carrying on to the honor and glory of his Name.

The Abbotsford Tribune. The Curtiss Advance (Curtiss, Clark County, Wisconsin) Wednesday, August 26, 1925


Robert Lipprandt.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel