Bio: Baker, Karl W. (History - 1878)
Contact: Janet Schwarze
Surnames: BAKER CRAWFORD WENDT WOLLENBERG
From the History of Clark County, Wisconsin compiled by Franklin Curtiss-Wedge, 1918, page 439
Ella, Sue and Dr. Karl W. Baker
KARL W. BAKER, M.D., postmaster of Greenwood, Wis., and a medical practitioner of ability, was born at Grand Rapids, Wis., Feb. 2, 1878, son of Charles O. and Stella A. (Crawford) Baker. His education was begun in the public schools of Grand Rapids, after which he attended St. John's Military Academy at Delafield, Wis., where he was graduated. Subsequently taking up the study of medicine, he was graduated from the Physicians Surgeons Medical College of Milwaukee, in 1900, and coming to Greenwood, began the practice of his profession here, where he has since resided. As a physician he has demonstrated his ability on numerous occasions, and in addition to his medical practice he is a partner in the Baker Land Company, composed of himself, his brother Julian, and his father, Charles O. Baker. On Oct. 22, 1914, Dr. Baker was appointed postmaster of Greenwood, in which position he is still serving to the public satisfaction. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge at Greenwood, also of the camp of Modern Woodmen of the World, and has served as health officer of the village. Dr. Baker was united in marriage, Nov. 7, 1908, with Ella, daughter of Christian and Albertine (Wendt) Wollenberg, and they are the parents of four children: Susan, Lucy, Francis and Christian.
Edward Wollenberg is said to have killed himself. Frances Baker Riber told that Ed was the banker and embezzled funds and killed himself in the basement. Dr. Karl Baker was called and he covered up the death, on the records. It was listed as a accident with a gun.
There was an old rock ellm tree planted in 1872 by Geo. Carpenter on Main Street where Dr. K. W. Baker lived when he practiced in Greenwood. It was not cut down until 1929 when George Speich bought the property and erected a garage there.
The above ad appeared in the Greenwood Gleaner, 19 Oct., 1900.
I'm guessing the article about the old tree (1929) must be the property where the present day American Legion and Bank of Withee (still there?) buildings are. Mary Urban
*See the Greenwood, Wis., Main St. Directory #138
**See the 2005 Tour of Main St., Greenwood, Wis. (114 S. Main St.) by Mary Urban
***American Legion, 2005
Barbara Riber & Janet Schwarze.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.