Theresa Funk's Notebook
Withee, Hixon Township, Clark Co., WI
Contributed by Maxine Schulze.
Theresa Funk died in 1985 at the age of 97.
We are looking for someone to transcribe these note. If you can help, please contact us.
[Memories by Theresa Funk] [The Funk Family Photo Album]
Page:            
In 1894 Hans C. Hansen of Neenah (father of Niggo Hansen) bought farm from Mr. and Mrs. C.W. funk and moved to Withee. The Danish colony was invited and 1892 to locate in Withee by Jacob Spaulding. He promised free land for a church and parsonage. The church was established in 1893 on land donated by John S. Owen in WIthee.
Peter Frost was the first official Danish visitor in Withee. Rev. Andres Nielsen arrived in 1893 from Chicago he was pastor until 1903 and died in 1909.
In June 1911 the first National Convention of the Danish Church of America was held with the Withee church serving as host, when the plaque was unveiled showing and engraved picture of Pastor Nielsen. This may be seen on the monument in the Danish Cemetery. The church also hosted the National Convention of the Danish Church of America in 1930. It brought a passenger train full of members to Withee. Rev. Jensen was second pastor and Rev. Dix was the third. He urged tree planting on all the farms around homes. He came in 1913. Alfred Frost was the first child born in the Danish Colony of WIthee. Neenah Hansen bought farm from Mr. and Mrs. Charles Funk in 1894. William Hansen, son of Neenah Hansen of Maplewood Farm (old Funk farm) left Withee in 1909 at the age of 18 years. William was president of State Teachers University at Stevens Point for some years. Now he is State Senator of Wisconsin. At one time, there were five Hans C. Hansen's in Withee: Chicago Hansen; Minneapolis Hansen; Superior Hansen,: Neenah Hansen, and one other (I think he was Peter Hansen).
Page:            
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs